X-CulT Community Forums: Doom 3 Alpha and Final differences - X-CulT Community Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom 3 Alpha and Final differences

#1 User is offline   Gen

• HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~
Icon
United States
Interest:
LOVES FRANZ'S PULSATING MEGA COCK
Hank Hill's propane filled narrow urethra

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:37 PM

Well, a while back I played the Doom 3 Alpha, and thought, "This is awesome." After I've played the retail edition, I'm left wondering, "Why did some of the stuff in the Alpha get pulled?"I'll explain:The shotgun in the Doom 3 Alpha was different, and looked much better than the one in the final.Screenshots:The Alpha's ShotgunPosted ImageThe Final's:Posted ImageHeres my theory as of why the original shotgun was taken out of the final:The MD5MESH and MD5ANIM file types from the alpha and final are different.MD5 Mesh version for the Alpha: 6, Final: 10There are very few differences between the versions.When they converted it to the new format, it probably came out fucked up looking, so they probably moved on and made another model.EDIT: Now that I think about it, ID could have just thrown the model out for other reasons. Such as it not meeting up to their standards, an exec said no during development (id was split in two because of Doom 3, more on that later), or Activision wanted it to be changed for X reason here. Anyone care to speculate?Also, the machinegun's textures and ammo GUI was different:The Alpha's:Posted ImageThe Final's:Posted ImageThe texture from the Alpha would have suited the machinegun in the final much better than the greenish one. I have no idea why they didn't keep it. Also, majority of the sounds were different.The zombies have different sounds in the final.The weapons made different noises in the final.many sounds were scrapped in the final.Also, in the alpha, zombies never stayed down.You can download a video showing this here (Windows Media Video, 5.4MB the file is Movie1.zip).Things to note about the video:The HUD is differentThe pistol model is differentThe machinegun's ammo warning is differentThe weapon sounds are differentThe zombies get back upMany textures were reused in the final.Also, the line in the begging of the video, "But one man stands between Hell and Earth", was removed.Also, the doom marine grunts a couple of times in the video. Like in the original Doom, the marine says nothing nor makes any noise other than when he moves in any of the cinematics. The only exception is when he jumps, lands, or gets hurt.Also, multiplayer was implemented to some extent at this stage. However, you could only use the pistol, otherwise, the game would crash.Thats all for now.EDIT: Check the shotgun section.

This post has been edited by genmiester: 03 January 2006 - 03:57 AM

#2 User is offline   Hedgehog

Icon
Interest:
Failure

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:27 PM

Cool, but I'm not much of a doom 3 fan..Nice find. :)

#3 User is offline   Cryomancer

Icon
United States
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 16 February 2006 - 02:48 AM

added, but plese read the damned pinned topic, specifically the parts about wording.

#4 User is offline   Gen

• HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~
Icon
United States
Interest:
LOVES FRANZ'S PULSATING MEGA COCK
Hank Hill's propane filled narrow urethra

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:47 PM

This was posted before the pinned topic. I'll be sure to pay attention about my wording.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users