X-CulT Community Forums: Unreleased and Canceled MMO list - X-CulT Community Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unreleased and Canceled MMO list Let's start one, shall we?

#1 User is offline   biggestsonicfan

• Unleashed isn't doing well? D=
Icon
United States
Interest:
Hacker

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:55 PM

I haven't touched the scene in years, but some recent interest in MMOs again has got me wanting to remember an unreleased MMO I was really looking forward to.

The MMO I'm thinking of was a fantasy MMO that I want to say started with an "S" or an "F". The graphics were extremely advanced for the time, and were well above the average consumer's computer specs to run it. The MMO was ultimately scrapped, and all I remember is a nice image on their website announcing the cancellation with kind of a bluish-purple sky background, and a character (perhaps an elf) sitting on a patch of grass on the right hand side. Sadly, that's all I have to go on, other than the game being canceled anywhere from 2005-2008.

A basic list which comes to mind is as follows:
The Matrix Online
The Sims Online
Sega SPLASH! Golf
internet Adventure
And all the crap from here...

If anyone could add and help research, that would be great. Last known installs of the client would also be a plus to upload.

#2 User is offline   Cryomancer

Icon
United States
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:44 PM

TRUE FANTASY LIVE ONLINE

#3 User is offline   Zeck

Icon
Saint Lucia
Interest:
Classic Amy Fan

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:49 AM

Well i'm not sure doesn't ring a bell to me. try searching on kotaku or destructoid in past articles maybe you can find something there...

This post has been edited by Zeck: 02 September 2010 - 01:51 AM

#4 Guest

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:06 AM

View Postbiggestsonicfan, on 01 September 2010 - 10:55 PM, said:

The Matrix Online

but that did come out... unless you include mmos that've been closed down?

also, shenmue online (i think that came out in korea only though)

#5 User is offline   biggestsonicfan

Icon
United States
Interest:
Hacker

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

View PostZeck, on 01 September 2010 - 11:49 PM, said:

Well i'm not sure doesn't ring a bell to me. try searching on kotaku or destructoid in past articles maybe you can find something there...

Actually, I checked on those. Funnily enough, I really didn't find anything. I suppose I could just look at the oldest "MMO" news and go from there, but their searches don't go as far back as the site has been live...

View PostGuest, on 02 September 2010 - 08:06 AM, said:

The Matrix Online

That is what I meant by "canceled" but yes, "closed down" is the more appropriate term for what I meant.

Actually, Shenmue online was being developed, and put on hold, then the game changed developers and we haven't heard (quite litterally) since then. Presumedly, it's in developer hell right now.

#6 Guest

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:59 AM

View Postbiggestsonicfan, on 02 September 2010 - 08:51 PM, said:

View PostZeck, on 01 September 2010 - 11:49 PM, said:

Actually, I checked on those. Funnily enough, I really didn't find anything. I suppose I could just look at the oldest "MMO" news and go from there, but their searches don't go as far back as the site has been live...

View PostGuest, on 02 September 2010 - 08:06 AM, said:

The Matrix Online

That is what I meant by "canceled" but yes, "closed down" is the more appropriate term for what I meant.

Actually, Shenmue online was being developed, and put on hold, then the game changed developers and we haven't heard (quite litterally) since then. Presumedly, it's in developer hell right now.

#7 Guest

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:04 AM

View PostGuest, on 03 September 2010 - 09:59 AM, said:

bull

fucking capcha... what should've been posted was something along the lines of:

shenmue online actually got released in a small quanity in korea (i think) as a beta testing phase but was terrible and recalled, the only thing that exists of it now is some lame footage of the game (which looks pants) and the fmv intro (which you can probs find in youtube under 'shenmue 3 trailerz lolzolz' and simular shit)

also the many, many versions of Phantasy Star Online could count in varying degrees.

#8 User is offline   OfAnAwesome

• SUPER GREAT! No spare effort!
Icon
United States
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:29 PM

That Halo MMO thing, Ultima Online 2, probably some Everquest spinoffs or expansions.

#9 User is offline   biggestsonicfan

Icon
United States
Interest:
Hacker

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:24 PM

View PostGuest, on 03 September 2010 - 08:04 AM, said:

shenmue online actually got released in a small quanity in korea (i think) as a beta testing phase but was terrible and recalled, the only thing that exists of it now is some lame footage of the game (which looks pants) and the fmv intro (which you can probs find in youtube under 'shenmue 3 trailerz lolzolz' and simular shit)

Interesting. I wonder if any builds or installs exist online somewhere with potential to extract contents.

EDIT: Began thinking about the canceled MMO again, and realized that I FIRST saw it in a magzine. I began pulling every one of my relevant gaming magazines, Game Informers and PLAY magazines, and began my search. Lo and behold, I found it. I present: Endless Saga

Posted Image
This is the image I remember from my original post. An image I probably haven't seen since 2005. It was being cross-developed for the PC and PS3, much like FF XIV now is. The screenshot is supposedly running the Unreal 3 engine being rendered on the PS3.

The announcement I remember is as follows:
"We have recently decided to cancel the Endless Saga project. Endless Saga was one of our ambitious development projects to enter into the next generation console market. However, after some rigorous development effort, we found the gameplay of Endless Saga to be short of innovation and creativity we seek to achieve in online gaming space."

#10 User is offline   Cryomancer

Icon
United States
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:27 PM

Welp, you can add APB to this list pretty soon.

And since you don't have em listed yet, Hellgate London and Tabula Rasa were MMOs/partial MMOs right? They died fairly quick. Age of Conan or whatever may or may not still be running.

For a couple older ones, I remember WWII Online and this game here: http://en.wikipedia....tor_City_Online

#11 User is offline   biggestsonicfan

Icon
United States
Interest:
Hacker

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:15 PM

View PostCryomancer, on 17 September 2010 - 05:27 PM, said:

]
Welp, you can add APB to this list pretty soon.

Tabula Rasa

Oh god, APB will be the biggest scale shutdown in history. Sure if an MMO was made cheaply and wasn't great to start with, they'll choke what they can of current subscribers. But man, 3 months, HUGE budget? That's kind of hilarious.

Also, I bought the Tabla Rasa collector's edition sealed for $5 at GameCrazy as they were going out of buisness. Did it out of sheer irony that the shelf life of the CE outlasted the game itself.

#12 User is offline   Abomination

Icon
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:31 PM

There can be only one true MMO...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=M9C5rLrss08
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=RHSSYpLlM90
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=V5IO_VT-jBI

(Before watch these videos take a wild guess)

#13 User is offline   SSUK

• Rule Britannia, mother fuckers!
Icon
Little Planet
Interest:
LOVES FRANZ'S PULSATING MEGA COCK

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:55 AM

http://kotaku.com/56...o-be-terminated

Outrun Online is dead, licensing deal killed it. Didn't even know of it's existence, but whatever. It's still available on the 360 until the end of next year, but is removed from the Playstation Network. Time to backup that executable, whoever out there has it.

#14 User is offline   Overlord

• Postcount whoring since 2003~
Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:54 PM

And shit like this keeps reminding us all why DRM'd downloads are bad. Outrun 2006 on Xbox 360 won't be playable in a good few years =| While it IS available elsewhere, to my knowledge it's not in HD (and yes, this includes the PC version as well. The textures were re-done for the 360/PS3).

#15 User is offline   SSUK

• Rule Britannia, mother fuckers!
Icon
Little Planet
Interest:
LOVES FRANZ'S PULSATING MEGA COCK

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:50 AM

View PostOverlord, on 15 October 2010 - 08:54 PM, said:

And shit like this keeps reminding us all why DRM'd downloads are bad. Outrun 2006 on Xbox 360 won't be playable in a good few years =| While it IS available elsewhere, to my knowledge it's not in HD (and yes, this includes the PC version as well. The textures were re-done for the 360/PS3).

It's only going off sale. If you already own it, you can still re-download the title, although I only know of the PSN doing that. Not so sure about XBL. The game will also continue to run until the servers get shut down, which SEGA hasn't announced they're doing (yet).

#16 User is offline   Overlord

• Postcount whoring since 2003~
Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:13 PM

"until the servers get shut down"

My point about long-term play still stands =P

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic