X-CulT Community Forums: Metroid: Zero Mission early beta video info - X-CulT Community Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Metroid: Zero Mission early beta video info

#1 User is offline   celebi23

Icon
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:20 PM

So, a few days ago, I was searching on YouTube for some of the Metroid: Other M trailers and came across a video

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=07SRvwgICag

It's apparently the ORIGINAL video that Nintendo posted online during E3 2003. Weird thing is that I do remember downloading the video from Nintendo's E3 2003 site :lol About 2 days later, Nintendo replaced it with this video http://web.archive.o...ie/metroid0.wmv

After doing some more digging, I constructed a simple website to host my findings

http://web.me.com/ce...a/mzm_beta.html

I've posted the information below for convenience. Oh & if anyone still has the original video saved on their computer, or knows where to find it, please shoot me a PM. It would be great to have the original video instead of a copy of a YouTube video.

Posted Image

Posted Image

At E3 2003, Nintendo announced a new Metroid game for the Game Boy Advance: "Metroid: Zero Mission". It was a retelling of the original Metroid game. As with all games, the earliest released footage/screenshots will almost certainly be different from the final game. With this case, however, we accidentally got a glimpse at an earlier build of Metroid: Zero Mission.

When Nintendo uploaded the screenshots & trailer to their E3 2003 sites (Nintendo of America & Nintendo of Japan) (guessing the date was May 13 by the screenshot filenames), they accidentally uploaded this video

http://web.me.com/ce...ta/metroid0.mov

(This video was found on YouTube. In my searching, it looks like it is the only copy out there.)
(Chibi Samus can also be seen in this piece of Kraid concept art courtesy of the Metroid Database & the japanese Metroid: Zero Mission site.)
(I myself remember watching this video & wondering why it was so different compared to the screenshots that Nintendo released.)

While doing more searching, I came across a Newsgroup topic (from May 14th, 2003) that seemed to highlight the confusion between the screenshots & the first video that was posted. In the topic, it links to a Gamesarefun.com article that describes & links to the video (trying to see if they still have a copy) (here's a link to the Wayback archive)
As a comparison, here are the original 9 screenshots that Nintendo released on May 13th, 2003, along with the first video. (Credit to IGN). While the are watermarked, they are the highest quality screenshots that are still on the net.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

As you can see, the first is a much different version of the game compared to the one shown at E3 2003 (even very different compared to the 9 screenshots released at the time the video was also release.) It's obvious that this video being uploaded was a mistake because, on May 15th, 2003 (a few days after the original video was uploaded), it was replaced with the following video (on all Nintendo E3 2003 sites).

The only example that I can find is from Nintendo of Japan's E3 2003 site (and the Google Translated version)

The following is the video that Nintendo replaced the previous video with. It was located via The Internet WayBack Machine's archive of the file.

http://web.me.com/ce...ta/metroid0.wmv

While the content is mostly complete, the formatting of the site isn't 100% set in stone. I wanted to created a simple website for the information until/if I find anything more.

#2 Guest

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:27 AM

Think i remember that old metroid research site (it's long gone but i think it was samus.net or something) had the video in question, plus some data on the stuff...

waybackmachine has failed me on this one but maybe checking the e3 site you talked of may come up with something (or any games site that copies videos onto their server, gametrailers for example)

Pointless addition: check out the video of the debug area using spirtes from wario land 4 (since the engine was updated for metroid you see)

#3 User is offline   ICEknight

Icon
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

That video screams fake to me. Why would Nintendo show such an early trailer, without even any sound, but with a definitive rating already?

#4 User is offline   OfAnAwesome

• SUPER GREAT! No spare effort!
Icon
United States
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:22 PM

Probably was a target render that somehow got to the press team and they gave it the rating.

#5 User is offline   ICEknight

Icon
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:23 PM

Now that's a bit farfetched.

#6 User is offline   celebi23

Icon
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:43 PM

View PostICEknight, on 31 August 2010 - 12:29 PM, said:

That video screams fake to me. Why would Nintendo show such an early trailer, without even any sound, but with a definitive rating already?

Definitely not fake. I absolutely remember downloading that video from Nintendo's E3 site

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users