X-CulT Community Forums: Lost graphic in NES Earthbound officially identified. - X-CulT Community Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lost graphic in NES Earthbound officially identified. (mirrored from Lost Levels)

#1 User is offline   ICEknight

Icon
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:41 AM

Remember this?

Posted Image
This little girl might be another doll that would have attacked the player in addition to the one that plays the melody. The text "Spooky!! The doll walks by itself!" can be seen at the beginning of the storyline script with the rest of the text from the event. The line that's there in the Japanese version basically says the same thing. As far as I can tell there's no way to activate the text during regular gameplay. If you check the doll before fighting it, the description is just "?" in both versions. Not to mention the doll that's in the game is floating around the room rather than walking. I took a good look at the enemy text in both versions of the game and didn't see anything unfamiliar, so I doubt the battle data for either of these enemies was actually programmed in.

It's also possible that the little girl was going to be an enemy in the ghost house. There's a townsperson in Spookane who says "I don't like the little Rosemary girl!", which again is basically the same in the Japanese version. The Rosemary family you meet in town doesn't have a little girl with them. The use of the name was probably a reference to the movie Rosemary's Baby, which is about a woman who thinks she is pregnant with a demonic child. The original plan for the girl might have been for her to either be another random enemy or the boss and voice that tries to scare the party away as they make their way through the house.

Well, she's now being included in a series of Mother figurines by Banpresto. And guess what.

Posted Image
Posted Image
She was Pippi all along.

#2 Guest

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:11 AM

Are we talking about Mother or Earthbound (mother 2)?

Just asking because Earthbound never come out on NES, and what prototype? The whole article (as with most articles on the site) is a bit of a mess.

Also, off topic-ish, the thing that is suggested to be a bell is clearly a donut.

#3 User is offline   OfAnAwesome

• SUPER GREAT! No spare effort!
Icon
United States
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:28 AM

Actually, it was used in that big MOTHER Japanese book thing.

#4 User is offline   ICEknight

Icon
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:14 AM

View PostGuest, on 22 July 2010 - 05:11 PM, said:

Are we talking about Mother or Earthbound (mother 2)?

Just asking because Earthbound never come out on NES, and what prototype?

The prototype of Mother 1 for NES, called Earthbound.

#5 User is offline   Cryomancer

Icon
United States
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:39 AM

Not surprising really. I'm pretty sure I probably guessed that back when I saw it the first time, since it seemed like the obvious thing.

#6 User is offline   ICEknight

Icon
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:45 AM

You never see any of the main characters in bigger sprites than 16x16, though. Why would she attack Ninten if he's bringing her home? Perhaps she was originally supposed to be hypnotized or something.

EDIT: Okay, I forgot about Teddy, but he was the badass leader of a gang, so a battle makes sense in that case.

#7 User is offline   Cryomancer

Icon
United States
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:12 PM

Well, Pippi and Teddy also share the same stats don't they? maybe there's some sort of weird connection there, maybe they were gonna have "first meeting" images, did Pippi's as she's the first person you meet, then when working on Teddy they just copied it over and replaced the art, etc Wild speculation ahoy but there are plenty of possible scenarios. Even could just be someone who was bored and felt like drawing it.

Also, thing that makes it the most obvious: the hair.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users