Phugolz Video Game Memories Episode 2: Atari 5200 & Colecovision

#1 User is offline   Phugolz

• فخر عبادة
Icon
Qatar
Interest:
Hated

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:19 PM

When I was a kid there were a lot of kids in my neighborhood. One of my best friends had a 7800. I had a Colecovision. While he was playing the nextgen Atari, I was kicking ass at smurf. Smurf kicked ass. Although I used to go to his house to play his 7800, I would often shut myself in my room with my Coleco + 2600 (Which was the one my parents bought when I was real young) and waste my afternoons away. I got my Coleco second hand in 1987/88. I brought it from the brother of my very first crush, Rae Ann Teeter. Yes, I grew up white trash. Anywho, $15 of saved up money in 198x for a kid was no simple task. But I got it with one controller, Smurf, Venture, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., and possibly some others I'm forgetting.

First system I owned with a bios too. A neighbor down the street had a Coleco Gemini, a 2600 clone. Didn't get to play with it much. Around this era was also the era of my father bringing home pirate bootleg software for our commodore 64. Back in that era, without the internet the best way to get software was at a Hamfest. Around this era of gaming my parents were doing something amazing and cool with our Commodore 64 as well. They were part of a group of HAM radio operators that were using a mix of radio equipment and Commodore software to send text based messages between computers! Wave of the future shit right there. However, my father had become incredibly addicted to Ms. PacMan on c64. So much so that he lost his job, and would sometimes play all night. I rarely got to use it after that.

Tune in next time for NES, Master System, and Gameboy!

#2 User is offline   Mecha Sally

Icon
United States
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:21 PM

View PostPhugolz, on 30 September 2009 - 02:19 PM, said:

First system I owned with a bios too. A neighbor down the street had a Coleco Gemini, a 2600 clone. Didn't get to play with it much. Around this era was also the era of my father bringing home pirate bootleg software for our commodore 64. Back in that era, without the internet the best way to get software was at a Hamfest. Around this era of gaming my parents were doing something amazing and cool with our Commodore 64 as well. They were part of a group of HAM radio operators that were using a mix of radio equipment and Commodore software to send text based messages between computers! Wave of the future shit right there. However, my father had become incredibly addicted to Ms. PacMan on c64. So much so that he lost his job, and would sometimes play all night. I rarely got to use it after that.

Wow, even before MMO's people were losing their jobs to game addiction. That HAM radio/instant messaging thing is freaking cool, though.

#3 User is offline   Phugolz

• فخر عبادة
Icon
Qatar
Interest:
Hated

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:15 PM

View PostMecha Sally, on 30 September 2009 - 09:21 PM, said:

Wow, even before MMO's people were losing their jobs to game addiction. That HAM radio/instant messaging thing is freaking cool, though.

Dude, the 1980's was the fucking shit. No one had cell phones, so there was none of those annoying cell phone issues. No pagers unless you were a doctor or something. Even if you did get a cell phone (Or a car phone, which was popular with the super rich) it was the size of a fucking xbox. No internet either. I miss a world without cell phones and internet. Although it was a bitch to buy games back then.

#4 User is offline   Mecha Sally

Icon
United States
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:34 AM

View PostPhugolz, on 30 September 2009 - 11:15 PM, said:

View PostMecha Sally, on 30 September 2009 - 09:21 PM, said:

Dude, the 1980's was the fucking shit. No one had cell phones, so there was none of those annoying cell phone issues. No pagers unless you were a doctor or something. Even if you did get a cell phone (Or a car phone, which was popular with the super rich) it was the size of a fucking xbox. No internet either. I miss a world without cell phones and internet. Although it was a bitch to buy games back then.

Haha yeah I remember seeing movies from the 80's/set in the 80's where people had huge fucking cell phones. Being born in '85 I missed out on most of the 80's stuff due to being too young. Although I do have vague memories of my brother playing his NES and looking through his Nintendo Power issues (which, like the Angry Video Game Nerd once said, was your only source for information for buying games back then). I also remember playing Atari 2600 at my grandparents. Good times.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users