X-CulT Community Forums: HOLY SHIT! ANOTHER POLL!?!?!? - X-CulT Community Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HOLY SHIT! ANOTHER POLL!?!?!? This time on operating systems!

Poll: Windows Operating Systems (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Which version of windows do you expect to be using in the next 2 to 3 years?

1. Windows XP (11 votes [28.95%])

Percentage of vote: 28.95%

2. Windows Vista (4 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

3. Windows 7 (20 votes [52.63%])

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

4. Windows Fuck Me In the Ass and Call Me Mary (Or Windows what the fuck ever they call it when it's announced) (3 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Gen

• HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~
Icon
United States
Interest:
LOVES FRANZ'S PULSATING MEGA COCK
Hank Hill's propane filled narrow urethra

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:07 PM

So a project I've been asked to work on has cropped up that requires a particular choice to be made. Either fuck around with the Microsoft Foundation Class Library (aka MFC), or fuck around directly with the Windows API for the shit we're considering throwing into this application. What I'm talking about is everyone's favorite and totally doesn't eat shit that people absolutely love, the Ribbon bar. Either we have an Office 2007-like ribbon bar using MFC, or we have Windows 7's somewhat updated Ribbon bar that doesn't quite suck as much shit via Windows 7's updated WinAPI, but at the cost of not supporting Windows XP, and possibly Vista (not that people won't update to 7 from Vista given the clusterfuck that Vista is).SO to help make this decision, I'm making a little poll here.(also, the only reason why we'd consider a Ribbon Bar for this application is due to the need of it blending in across all platforms that we support; for example, whenever we release the Mac version of our little program, it'll be packed full of little somewhat useless UI widgets specific to OS X, and nothing really special for linux fags because lollinuxfags and their various window managers. Such bullshit would likely be disabled at the user's preference, we've even got a "consistency" UI theme thought out that looks the same regardless of OS)

#2 User is offline   Nova

• トップをだらえ!
Icon
England
Interest:
Weeaboo

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:54 AM

Using the Windows 7 Beta now, and I can see myself in that time frame having the final version on perhaps a new rig.

#3 User is offline   RedRanger

Icon
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:03 AM

Like you said, they cleaned up the ribbon system for Windows 7.Microsoft's actually starting to make sense nowAlso, Windows Paint on W7 is fucking amazing with the new brushes

This post has been edited by RedRanger: 17 March 2009 - 09:05 AM

#4 User is offline   SSUK

• Rule Britannia, mother fuckers!
Icon
Little Planet
Interest:

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

Windows 7.<3 it.

#5 User is offline   Overlord

• Postcount whoring since 2003~
Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:39 PM

Where's the Linux option?Though I chose XP =P

#6 User is offline   retrooldschool

Icon
United States
Interest:
Failure

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:09 PM

I use:-Vista on a laptop-XP on a PCAND WILL NOT LET MICROSOFT TRICK ME INTO AN UPGRADE

This post has been edited by retrooldschool: 17 March 2009 - 06:10 PM

#7 User is offline   Gen

• HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~
Icon
United States
Interest:

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:33 AM

View Postretrooldschool, on Mar 17 2009, 06:09 PM, said:

I use:-Vista on a laptop-XP on a PCAND WILL NOT LET MICROSOFT TRICK ME INTO AN UPGRADE
MY TEXT IS BIGGER THAN YOURS

This post has been edited by Gen: 18 March 2009 - 02:36 AM

#8 User is offline   Thundarbolt

• I WANNA DOWBLOAD THE GAME
Icon
Canada
Interest:
Jaded Sonic Fan

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:55 AM

View Postretrooldschool, on Mar 17 2009, 07:09 PM, said:

AND WILL NOT LET MICROSOFT TRICK ME INTO AN UPGRADE
You will do what Microsoft tells you and you will like it you little assclown.But back to the topic at hand, I'm running XP now but I'll probably be taking 7 for a spin by that time.

#9 User is offline   Gen

• HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~
Icon
United States
Interest:

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:28 AM

Keep in mind this topic is about what you may be using in 2 to 3 years. Please to be voting on what you expect to be using by that time.

#10 User is offline   retrooldschool

Icon
United States
Interest:
Failure

Post icon  Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:07 PM

View PostGen, on Mar 18 2009, 03:28 AM, said:

Keep in mind this topic is about what you may be using in 2 to 3 years. Please to be voting on what you expect to be using by that time.
I probablyWILLuse the same OSs in 2 to 3 years

This post has been edited by retrooldschool: 18 March 2009 - 04:50 PM

#11 User is offline   Cryomancer

Icon
United States
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

I'll be using the OS from hackers where your directories are all buildings and you fly around.

#12 User is offline   retrooldschool

Icon
United States
Interest:
Failure

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:47 PM

View PostCryomancer, on Mar 18 2009, 05:40 PM, said:

I'll be using the OS from hackers where your directories are all buildings and you fly around.
what does that mean?i'm a dumbass

This post has been edited by retrooldschool: 18 March 2009 - 04:47 PM

#13 User is offline   Sazpaimon

• <PACHUKA> sonic cult is the gay
Icon
United States
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

I agree

#14 User is offline   Gen

• HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~
Icon
United States
Interest:

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:13 PM

View Postretrooldschool, on Mar 18 2009, 03:07 PM, said:

View PostGen, on Mar 18 2009, 03:28 AM, said:

I probablyWILLuse the same OSs in 2 to 3 years
MyBIG TEXTisBOLDERthanYOURS FAGGOT

#15 User is offline   Overlord

• Postcount whoring since 2003~
Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

View PostCryomancer, on Mar 18 2009, 09:40 PM, said:

Needs moar Jurassic Park."This is Unix! I know this!"

#16 User is offline   Franz

• huge weeaboo
Icon
United States
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:31 PM

beat to the jurassic park reference. sigh.but yeah, I'll be using whatever release of OS X is around at that time and I'll be enjoying my aids kthx.

#17 User is offline   Gen

• HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~
Icon
United States
Interest:

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

View PostFranz, on Mar 18 2009, 06:31 PM, said:

beat to the jurassic park reference. sigh.but yeah, I'll be using whatever release of OS X is around at that time and I'll be enjoying my aids kthx.
OS X is a targeted platform, though I highly doubt we'll be using an Office 2008-like ribbon bar in the OS X version :p

#18 User is offline   Slingers

Icon
England
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:20 AM

Am I the only one here who actually likes Vista? I disliked it at first, but when I got used to it and learnt all the commands, I actually preferred it to XP. I think it was just a fact that I was too stubborn to learn a new OS which is probably the why Vista has had such bad press, e.g. some people just don't really like change. It was probably a similar situation back when people were switching over from Windows 3x to 95.

This post has been edited by knuxinbambed: 21 March 2009 - 02:40 PM

#19 User is offline   SSUK

• Rule Britannia, mother fuckers!
Icon
Little Planet
Interest:

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:14 PM

View Postknuxinbambed, on Mar 21 2009, 02:20 PM, said:

Am I the only one here who actually likes Vista? I disliked it at first, but when I got used to it and learnt all the commands, I actually preferred it to XP. I think it was just a fact that I was too stubborn to learn a new OS which is probably the why Vista has had such bad press, e.g. some people just don't really like change. It was probably a similar situation back when people were switching over from Windows 3x to 95.
I was totally promoting Vista until 7 came along and made me think "Why wasn't Vista like this to start with?". Vista does a lot of things right, really. It's got a nice UI, has a lot of simple buttons on normal windows like directories, recycle bin and integrates the burn-to-disc 'folder' much better than XP. Improved language support so you didn't have to go around installing all kinds of fonts and language packs to view a non-unicode program on an English version of the OS without everything showing up as "???". However, the OS did a lot of things wrong as well. The UAC was far too bulky, every time the screen redrew the computer usually froze with my father's laptop taking sometimes a fucking minute to finish whatever the fuck it was doing and prompt me for the admin password. Regardless of UAC graphical problems, I still somehow got viruses on the desktop PC which ran Vista, I hardly ever use it and only I know the administrator password. So you seriously have to ask the question; what the fuck does UAC do other than annoy the shit out of you? The OS booted up slower than anything, ever. The Vista theme is only ever good in Aero, Vista Basic looks fucking awful. The Start Menu search was a nice gimmick at first, but the indexing takes the piss and regardless of that I don't even find myself using the search that much anyway (I have Windows Desktop Search installed on my XP laptop currently... Never use that either) and there's no way of turning that damn indexing off.The resource problems are something I lived with, but I don't know why. Windows Vista Vs Windows 7 is just silly. 7 does things a LOT better, boots up faster, indexing is sane. But here's the thing. My desktop is a 2.8GHz Intel Pentium D, 1GB DDR2 RAM, 128mb Integrated Graphics Intel Graphics Accelerator POS. My experience level on Vista was 2.6. My experience level on Windows 7? 3.2. Work that fucking out. So unless MS tweaked the Experience level criteria for 7, my PC is apparently just better for installing 7...tl;dr? Fuck Vista, wait for 7.

#20 User is offline   Slingers

Icon
England
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

Well I haven't tried 7 yet so I can't really say anything on that. Has 7 been officially released yet? Or is it still in testing stages?

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users