X-CulT Community Forums: R.I.P. 1up.com and Electronic Gaming Monthly - X-CulT Community Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

R.I.P. 1up.com and Electronic Gaming Monthly

#1 User is offline   Mecha Sally

Icon
United States
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:19 AM

http://kotaku.com/51...n-egm-to-close-Wow... just, wow.

This post has been edited by Mecha Sally: 08 January 2009 - 01:19 AM

#2 User is offline   The Government

• la belle dame sans fucks
Icon
Interest:
Been around forever

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:23 AM

I didn't like EGM all that much anyway. Plus, gaming magazines are pretty goddamn irrelevant now given how saturated the internet is with game news and review sites

#3 User is offline   RMC

Icon
United States
Interest:
Artist

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:35 AM

View PostThe Government, on Jan 8 2009, 01:23 AM, said:

I didn't like EGM all that much anyway. Plus, gaming magazines are pretty goddamn irrelevant now given how saturated the internet is with game news and review sites
EGM usually had inside scoops before most gaming websites even got the material (Splatterhouse game announcement anyone?). But I see where you are coming from, tbh, the magazine was turning into pour shit anyway. All these "unbiased" reviews shit they talked about was a load of bull.Ah well, out with the old, in with the new.

This post has been edited by RMC: 08 January 2009 - 01:36 AM

#4 User is offline   biggestsonicfan

• Unleashed isn't doing well? D=
Icon
United States
Interest:
Hacker

Posted 08 January 2009 - 02:55 AM

EGM was my first gaming mag. I still have many, many of the older issues. It was like, THE source if you wanted scoops and gossip on new video game stuff. I believe there's more prototype material in EGM mags than any other mags could get a hold of at the time.

#5 User is offline   IUG

• red power
Icon
United States
Interest:
Jaded Sonic Fan

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:28 AM

I rather liked them, but I could see this coming. They kept on dumping staff (or at least they were fleeing) and last month's cover was for the Wolverine game, and a shitty model for that too. I just wonder what magazine is going to finish off my subscription now that I'll be stuck with for the rest of my subscription. December 09 is when mine runs out, so I really got boned in this.

#6 User is offline   Narstyle

• #CulT banned for lyfe
Icon
England
Interest:
LOVES FRANZ'S PULSATING MEGA COCK

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:58 AM

On a related subject:Posted ImageR.I.P 2008/09EDIT:Posted ImageR.I.P 2009/10

This post has been edited by Hinara: 08 January 2009 - 09:00 AM

#7 User is offline   The Government

• la belle dame sans fucks
Icon
Interest:
Been around forever

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:18 AM

why can't something big and annoying like wal-mart go down the drain already

#8 User is offline   SSUK

• Rule Britannia, mother fuckers!
Icon
Little Planet
Interest:

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:41 AM

Well, if EGM lay-offs want something to do, they could pool together and buy Hardcore Gamer Magazine...http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=300285337821Only 42 grand.

#9 User is offline   Narstyle

• #CulT banned for lyfe
Icon
England
Interest:

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:22 AM

As unlikely and unfortunate it may be, i'd laugh fucking HARD whilst being mildly upset if Sonic Team / Sega went into Admin.Highly doubtful though. I can't really put down a bet on which Gaming Developers / house goes under first. As for other predictions on the downturn of other highstreet stores:Adams KidsHawkins BazarrThe WorksCurrys (Sorry Stoko)WHSmithMight not be soon, or even this year, but i reacon they could all be on their way out.

#10 User is offline   Zeck

Icon
Saint Lucia
Interest:
Classic Amy Fan

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:26 AM

http://kotaku.com/51...-that-never-wasRead the last issue online....

#11 User is offline   Nova

• トップをだらえ!
Icon
England
Interest:
Weeaboo

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:44 AM

I'd like to say I'm sad, but I never read a copy of EGM and didn't really use 1-Up. It sounds rather damning for such a long-running independant videogame magazine to just be dropped though. I was gutted when PlayStation Power stopped printing a while back, so I can imagine how some will feel about this.

#12 User is offline   Overlord

• Postcount whoring since 2003~
Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:21 PM

EGM has been a shuffling zombie for quite some time, it was about time it got dragged out and shot. In this day and age gaming mags ARE largely irrelevant.Only Edge left and we're all the better off :) (They've sucked for just as long as EGM has)Oh, and while we're on the subject: CVG in its prime > EGM in its prime

#13 User is offline   IUG

• red power
Icon
United States
Interest:
Jaded Sonic Fan

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:26 PM

Oops, almost reached for the ban button, why is it right next to the Reply one? Heh.

View PostOverlord, on Jan 8 2009, 01:21 PM, said:

EGM has been a shuffling zombie for quite some time, it was about time it got dragged out and shot. In this day and age gaming mags ARE largely irrelevant.
You tell me what I should be doing while I'm shitting. Stare at a wall?

#14 User is offline   SSUK

• Rule Britannia, mother fuckers!
Icon
Little Planet
Interest:

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:50 PM

View PostHinara, on Jan 8 2009, 04:22 PM, said:

As unlikely and unfortunate it may be, i'd laugh fucking HARD whilst being mildly upset if Sonic Team / Sega went into Admin.Highly doubtful though. I can't really put down a bet on which Gaming Developers / house goes under first. As for other predictions on the downturn of other highstreet stores:Adams KidsHawkins BazarrThe WorksCurrys (Sorry Stoko)WHSmithMight not be soon, or even this year, but i reacon they could all be on their way out.
Adams are already in Administration. Hawkin's Bazarr only really trades around Christmas time and is part of a much bigger, quite rich parent company. Currys is part of the Dixons group, they'll be kept afloat.

View PostNova, on Jan 8 2009, 04:44 PM, said:

I'd like to say I'm sad, but I never read a copy of EGM and didn't really use 1-Up. It sounds rather damning for such a long-running independant videogame magazine to just be dropped though. I was gutted when PlayStation Power stopped printing a while back, so I can imagine how some will feel about this.
I have a sole copy of EGM which I bought in this country, oddly enough. It was far inferior to game mags we have over here and that has to say something. Like a lot of American mags it's basically just adverts with a bit of filler in between. How Americans put up with publications over there is beyond me, I'd never stand an advert every other page. But either way, I can see why people liked the magazine. Shame it's gone and shame UGO (the new owners of 1UP) killed it, especially before a proper final magazine was published (especially since it was finished).

#15 User is offline   Narstyle

• #CulT banned for lyfe
Icon
England
Interest:

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:56 PM

Sorry SSUK, i was just going on what's been happening in my vacinity to be honest. Adams, Works, and Curry's have all vanished off the face of the county, as far as shopping's concerned. Or at least they will be.Adams have gone down the shitter due to supplier, Ladybird (Hello Woolworths), going down the pan too. Entertainment UK, responsible for CDs, DVDs and Games at woolworths are also looking into trouble.Zavvi's gone/going too. Wonder if Virgin will pick 'em up and fix 'em.My argument for WHSmith is similar to the reason Woolworths disappeared, it's an afterthought shop. Woolworths failed in modern times due to absolutely EVERYTHING in the store being able to be purchased at a bigger, better, and often cheaper Tesco/Asda. WHSmith consists the same with the only major support coming from travel stores (Airports, Trainstations) and it's book retailing department, which with the way Waterstones and Amazon are going, they're not gonna be there for long.Everything else in the store is shit;DVDs: Tesco / AsdaMagazines: Tesco / AsdaSweets : EverywhereBooks : Tesco / Asda / WaterstonesStationary: Tesco / Asda / Colmunns (Not too sure if this just a local shop, or a massive retail store)

#16 User is offline   Trunks

• The user of the unloved Mac.
Icon
United States
Interest:
Artist

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:59 PM

EGM hasn't been worth the money in years. Only gaming magazine that was truly something was PSM, with fucking gorgeous artwork and fun stories written by people who weren't getting paid by the companies themselves.Then they went shitty and started doing those awful renders for covers.

#17 User is offline   Overlord

Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:49 PM

View PostIUG, on Jan 8 2009, 06:26 PM, said:

Oops, almost reached for the ban button, why is it right next to the Reply one? Heh.

View PostOverlord, on Jan 8 2009, 01:21 PM, said:

EGM has been a shuffling zombie for quite some time, it was about time it got dragged out and shot. In this day and age gaming mags ARE largely irrelevant.
You tell me what I should be doing while I'm shitting. Stare at a wall?
That's what browsers on phones are for! Yours not got WiFi? ;P

View PostHinara, on Jan 8 2009, 08:56 PM, said:

Zavvi's gone/going too. Wonder if Virgin will pick 'em up and fix 'em.
Considering Branson saw this problem coming a mile off (why else do you think he sold the Megastores chain off in the first place?), I doubt that VERY much.

#18 User is offline   Beta

• Admin Emeritus
Icon
United States
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:06 AM

View PostThe Government, on Jan 8 2009, 07:18 AM, said:

why can't something big and annoying like wal-mart go down the drain already
Anyone who fucking touches my walmart gets a swift kick to the dick/uterus.

#19 User is offline   Narstyle

• #CulT banned for lyfe
Icon
England
Interest:

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:16 PM

Land of Leather's gone going. Source: http://news.bbc.co.u...ess/7824133.stmAlso, there was something else mentioned today in the news, but looking back over it, i can't seem to remember / find it. When it comes back, i'll mention it.

This post has been edited by Hinara: 14 January 2009 - 05:16 PM

#20 User is offline   Overlord

Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:22 PM

Bloody hell.Who's next?!

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic