Key to Adventure my game, episode 1 is complete

#1 User is offline   Hinchy

• i mean it!!!!!!!!!!1
Icon
United States
Interest:
Nuisance

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:09 PM

Posted ImageGenre: Platform/PuzzleStory: One day, Joe is taking a stroll with his girlfriend, Distressed Damsel. Suddenly, the evil Dr. Bad swoops down and kidnaps Distressed! Now, Joe must follow Dr. Bad to his secret lair deep within Puzzle Cave......Gameplay: Key to Adventure is a lot like Donkey Kong '94, in which the object of each level is to get a key to the door, solving puzzles along the way. However, there is a twist in his sidekick, Bzzzt. He's a little ball of electricity that can fly, fit through holes smaller than Joe, and activate electrical objects. You have to work the two characters in tandem to get through the stages.Wii Controls: (Wiimote held vertically)D-Pad Left/Right- Move Joe Left/RightD-Pad Up - Make Joe Jump (formerly B Button)D-Pad Down - Make Joe Perform Action (Context Sensitive)Pointer - Move Bzzzt (he follows the cursor)A - Make Bzzzt Perform Action (Context Sensitive)1 Button - Switch Camera Between CharactersPC Controls:Left/Right keys or A/D keys - Move Joe Left/RightUp or W key - Make Joe JumpDown or S key - Make Joe Perform Action (Context Sensitive)Mouse Cursor - Move Bzzzt (he follows the cursor)Primary Mouse Button - Make Bzzzt Perform Action (Context Sensitive)1 Key - Switch Camera Between CharactersMisc: Also, the game is released episodically - a new 16-level installment every month or so. In addition, each episode contains high-quality animated cutscenes with voice-acting, to keep moving on the plot - a comical pastiche of video game hallmarks and clichés.http://kta.mindstage.org/ - official websitehttp://www.wiicade.c...aspx?gameID=759 - play episode 1 on WiiCadehttp://www.newground...tal/view/416803 - play episode 1 on Newgrounds

This post has been edited by YesIAmAnIdiot: 25 December 2007 - 10:20 AM

#2 User is offline   IUG

• red power
Icon
United States
Interest:
Jaded Sonic Fan

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:52 PM

Hate to say it, but when I first saw your avatar in another thread, I thought it was a characture of Ash and Pikachu from Pokemon.

#3 User is offline   Cho

Icon
England
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 04 November 2007 - 03:24 AM

I'll agree with SANiK here, the concept is indeed interesting and certainly an enjoyable game. Good job.

#4 User is offline   Cryomancer

Icon
United States
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:03 AM

MORE LIKE "ADVENTURE TO KEY", AM I RITE?not bad though. somehow the guy looks more cave story inspired than pokemon.

#5 User is offline   Infiniti

Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:48 AM

I got stuck on level 3, I got the boot, then fell down a hole!It's a nice little game tho!

#6 User is offline   Hinchy

• i mean it!!!!!!!!!!1
Icon
United States
Interest:
Nuisance

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:34 AM

View PostCryomancer, on Nov 4 2007, 09:03 AM, said:

not bad though. somehow the guy looks more cave story inspired than pokemon.
my idea for the character was to combine Mario, Ash, and Quote from Cave Story, to create a generical video game hero guy. oh and with no arms. i oftentimes don't draw arms on my characters for some reason. none of the guys in KtA have arms.

View PostInfiniti, on Nov 4 2007, 09:48 AM, said:

I got stuck on level 3, I got the boot, then fell down a hole!It's a nice little game tho!
the boot gives you double jump, use it to get past the hole.

This post has been edited by YesIAmAnIdiot: 04 November 2007 - 10:36 AM

#7 User is offline   Infiniti

Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:43 AM

View PostYesIAmAnIdiot, on Nov 4 2007, 03:34 PM, said:

the boot gives you double jump, use it to get past the hole.
Huzzah! Thanks! Finished it now.

#8 User is offline   Trunks

• The user of the unloved Mac.
Icon
United States
Interest:
Artist

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:29 PM

I like it a lot, very cute style, great music, and pretty good gameplay. Perhaps you could help me out with some flash scripting at some point. I've been wanting to make a platformer really badly, I just haven't been able to figure out proper scripting.Do you think you could catch me on AIM sometime or somethin'?

#9 User is offline   Nova

• トップをだらえ!
Icon
England
Interest:
Weeaboo

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:19 PM

I'll have to agree with everyone, it's very well done. An interesting concept, and while I didn't actually play it on the Wii, I can imagine it would work pretty well.I like that story, simple, like it should be. =PGood job!

#10 User is offline   NiktheGreek

• Machine of hate
Icon
England
Interest:
Hated

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:19 PM

That's a pretty neat concept, reminds me of the old platform-puzzler The Lost Vikings, in the use of different characters to reach the goal. Controlling both simultaneously is a neat addition to the formula.

#11 User is offline   ICEknight

Icon
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:50 PM

Very nice... But is it not possible to improve the framerate a little?

#12 User is offline   Hinchy

• i mean it!!!!!!!!!!1
Icon
United States
Interest:
Nuisance

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:13 PM

if the framerate went up, the play quality on the Wii would go down. maybe I'll release a separate PC version with a better framerate when it's all done.

#13 User is offline   ICEknight

Icon
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:08 AM

Hmm? Wouldn't a more fluid framerate (keeping Low or Medium quality) improve the playability on the Wii as well? Or am I missing something?

#14 User is offline   Hinchy

• i mean it!!!!!!!!!!1
Icon
United States
Interest:
Nuisance

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:18 PM

View PostICEknight, on Nov 6 2007, 10:08 AM, said:

Hmm? Wouldn't a more fluid framerate (keeping Low or Medium quality) improve the playability on the Wii as well? Or am I missing something?
no. the wii generally gets about ~15 fps with this game, so increasing the framerate would slow it down. it'd still go at about 15 fps even if you increased it.anyway.the game's REALLY close to being finished. the cutscenes and menus and presentation is done, the programming is done, the boss is done. all I have left to make are 7 more levels. So, i'm looking for people who can be fairly dedicated for the next week and test out new private releases for me. some kinda instant messenger (aim, msn, yahoo, skype, fuck even icq) is a must. post here if you're interested.

#15 User is offline   Hinchy

• i mean it!!!!!!!!!!1
Icon
United States
Interest:
Nuisance

Posted 25 December 2007 - 10:20 AM

bump lolanyway, episode 1 is out, check it out, link's in the first post.also, it got front page and Daily 5th Place on Newgrounds! woot!

#16 User is offline   Nova

• トップをだらえ!
Icon
England
Interest:
Weeaboo

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:32 PM

Congratulations on the front page! I love the game, I STILL haven't tried it on the Wii yet though.

#17 User is offline   Oshtoby

• Dance, Metal! Dance!
Icon
United States
Interest:
Researcher
West Philadelphia, born and raised. On the playground is where I spent most of my days. Chillin' out, maxin', relaxin', all cool, shootin' some b-ball outside of the school.

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:49 PM

A lot of things about the cut-scenes and the music reminded me of Bonus Stage, which I know you're a big fan of. I used to watch your version of Bonus Stage, the one that starred the people from the Couchslave forum, so it's funny to see how your flash skills have evolved over the years.

#18 User is offline   Overlord

• Postcount whoring since 2003~
Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:23 PM

Finally played through this, and I very much like it with the exception of 1-8. Got stuck, had no idea how to get through, quit the window to go watch someone playing Portal. Came back, played up to 1-7, and there's a sign with how to do 1-8 on it.Pressing Left, Jump and Camera Switch at the same time makes THE KEY MOVE?! Come on, that's just pressing arbitrary buttons, there's no skill to that and it's extremely counter intuitive.The rest of the game, great. Looking forward to episode 2, hopefully with no more levels like 1-8 =P

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users