Cant delete fake exe files tech support plz

#1 User is offline   Spinel

• 地獄の兄弟
Icon
United States
Interest:
Pervert

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:54 AM

Ok this is a problem i just noticed, have no idea how long it's been happening. But I noticed it when I was downloading a program off bittorrent, but the torrent was dead so i closed it. Then went to delete the 0 byte exe file but coudn't... explorer had open hadles to it and wouldn't let me. It gave me the "Cannot delete file: it is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that may be using the file and try again." error. After much head scratching, I found that I could read and write to the file but couldn't delete, rename or move it. restarting explorer or the whole computer didn't work.Finally, I took a real exe, made a copy of it, named the copy the exact name of the offending exe file then moved the copy into the folder with the offending exe file thus overwriting the 0 byte exe file with a real exe. after killing explorer and restarting it to close its open handles to the file, i could then delete the file.and it's not just a one time thing. I can right click on the desktop, and create a new text document, and have "New Text document.txt" which I can delete fine, but if I rename it to "New Text document.exe" I can't delete it anymore! Anybody hear of anythig like this? It's a new one for me.I've of course already ran Adaware, trial ver NOD32, Housecall, and Hijackthis and all come back clean.I have had some infections in the past but they should be all gone now.help, or something.

#2 User is offline   Spinel

• 地獄の兄弟
Icon
United States
Interest:
Pervert

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:00 PM

gah, seriously every time I make a post like this I end up solving it myself.... which I just did.turns out it was a fake CmdLineExt03.dll on my system cocking things up.

#3 User is offline   Sazpaimon

• <PACHUKA> sonic cult is the gay
Icon
United States
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 27 October 2007 - 04:31 PM

In the future check out Unlocker, it's a great little program that can allow you to delete files "in use" by other programs or handles.

#4 User is offline   divx2k60

• Got time?
Icon
Slovenia
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:34 PM

Unlocker indeed. Was just thinking about the same tool when I read the topic title.

#5 User is offline   epon

Icon
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:49 AM

Unlocker works wonders with open handles.

#6 User is offline   Spinel

• 地獄の兄弟
Icon
United States
Interest:
Pervert

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:56 PM

View PostSazpaimon, on Oct 27 2007, 04:31 PM, said:

In the future check out Unlocker, it's a great little program that can allow you to delete files "in use" by other programs or handles.
nifty, never herd of it before.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users