X-CulT Community Forums: The Sonic '06 Kingdom Valley Texture Restoration Project - X-CulT Community Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Sonic '06 Kingdom Valley Texture Restoration Project

#1 User is offline   Gen

• HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~
Icon
United States
Interest:
LOVES FRANZ'S PULSATING MEGA COCK
Hank Hill's propane filled narrow urethra

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:15 PM

So, here's the deal. Since Sonic '06 used some pretty bland textures in many areas (most notably Kingdom Valley), and I'm wanting to do a Kingdom Valley remake, we may as well redo the textures for the level based off of what we have so far.What's needed for each texture:A new color map - Most of the textures in Kingdom Valley just had colormaps with baked lighting added to them. This is the time consuming part, as we need to try and kill the baked lighting for bump mapping to really be noticed.Bump maps - These should be based off of the original color map. Since the originals have baked lighting, we may as well go through, make copies of the textures, and desaturate them.Specular (optional) - These are used to control gloss on materials. White = really glossy, black = no gloss.Example of what we'll be doing:kdv_wall01_dfsp_k.dds Original in C4:Posted ImageAfter having the colormap redone, and bump map created:Posted ImageThe difference?Lets look at the color maps:Original:Posted ImageNew colormap:Posted ImageTo make it look bumpy, we use a bump map, which will be essentially the original colormap in greyscale, just keep things moving along quickly:Posted ImageTHE FORMAT REQUIRED FOR THE TEXTURES:Targa. It's the only format C4 currently supports.TEXTURES THAT DON'T NEED ANY WORK:Any of the kdv_tree textures, the kdv_treetop texture, any kdv_plant textures (not unless you guys really want things to look nice), and none of the kdv_leaf texturesWHERE YOU GET THE TEXTURES:Here. Example textures includedWHO DOES WHAT:The textures will be split up into different groups.kdv_bridge, kdv_brick, kdv_decoration, kdv_emblem, kdv_gate, and the kdv_relief textures will go under group 1.kdv_stone, kdv_stone, and kdv_wood textures are going under group 2.kdv_rope, kdv_piller, kdv_rock, and kdv_moss are going under group 3.Group 4 belongs to kdv_iron, and any other textures not covered by the groups above.All of the textures, except for the kdv_plant, leaf, obj, and tree textures have fucked up alpha. Just get rid of the alpha, and replace it with the bump maps you create for both the resulting color maps, and bump maps. The reason for this, is for an effect known as parallax mapping, and for an ambient lighting technique called ambient occlusion.The example textures are:kdv_wall01_color, kdv_wall01_bump, and kdv_wall01_specular. More details on how we'll be fixing the colormaps later.There's around 110 textures total.

This post has been edited by Gen: 17 June 2007 - 12:17 PM

#2 User is offline   2much

Icon
France
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:52 AM

This link doesn't work now.Can you refresh this please?

#3 User is offline   Jason

Icon
Interest:
Fangamer

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:01 AM

Those look amazing. Yes, I know this is a major bump, but I'm sure a lot of us would like those textures. :x

#4 User is offline   khorney

• 0.o;;
Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:00 AM

i do believe he has since scrapped this project, well, at least the game that was supposed to go with it

#5 User is offline   Gen

• HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~
Icon
United States
Interest:
LOVES FRANZ'S PULSATING MEGA COCK
Hank Hill's propane filled narrow urethra

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:16 PM

View Postkhorney, on Dec 17 2007, 07:00 AM, said:

i do believe he has since scrapped this project, well, at least the game that was supposed to go with it
I'm thinking of releasing what I'm going to finish up from Sonic XN, and Kingdom Valley as a small demo level, and leaving the game open to modifications.

#6 User is offline   shadic19

Icon
United States
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:33 PM

nice

#7 User is offline   IUG

• red power
Icon
United States
Interest:
Jaded Sonic Fan

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:40 PM

View Postshadic19, on Jan 2 2008, 07:33 PM, said:

nice
If you join this site, you should make your first post more than one word long. Otherwise your next post will be the last.

#8 User is offline   The Government

• la belle dame sans fucks
Icon
Interest:
Been around forever

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:47 PM

View PostIUG, on Jan 2 2008, 07:40 PM, said:

If you join this site, you should make your first post more than one word long. Otherwise your next post will be the last.
I went ahead and banned him anyway. With a name like "shadic19", you know no good will come of him.Plus I want the first ban of 2008. Mod dickjerking ahoy! :V

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users