• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nights Clone project status to be updated when progress is made

#1 User is offline   Volthorn

Icon
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:22 AM

im currently in the process of ripping graphics from the game, because this clone will use all authentic sonic team graphics.progresses--------------------------a big pile of meshes ripped, thanks to SANiK and his format postPosted Image(it doesnt look like anything but its 155 objects exported from memory while claris' first level was being playedterrain maps (ground and roof) ripped with textures and texture mappingthis is terrain from claris' first levelPosted Imageanimation data located ( no pic yet, im in the progress of figuring out the crazy format and converting it to a keyframed 3d studio max file)animated texture tables located (only for animated terrain textures, like water and such) (havent done anything with it yet)that is about the extent of my progress on graphics ripping, well i have about 30+ pages of notes but this is all the usefull info ive been able to pull so far.what im working on is figuring out the animation format, and just as importantly, finding the ring/orb/placeable object locations

#2 User is offline   khorney

• 0.o;;
Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:01 AM

that looks quite awsome, and this is from a saturn game you say?

#3 User is offline   Volthorn

Icon
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:53 AM

View Postkhorney, on Jan 18 2007, 11:01 AM, said:

that looks quite awsome, and this is from a saturn game you say?
yup, nights into dreams from 1996. sure looks better at high res with detailed lighting huh? also the increased vewing distance is the biggest differance, on the saturn game you could only see 20 feet in front of you. thats why this clone will be so great,all the same graphics but rendered with modern techniques.but what worries me about viewing distance, in the saturn game, being there was such a short viewing distance, they filled up the background with billboarded-sprites and beautiful scrolling backdrops. if the clone has a huge viewing distance you really wont see as much of those backdrops..will the game lose its feel? if it does then ill have to match their short viewing distance and maybe just blend the disapearing point out, instead of it just cutting off sharply like it did.

This post has been edited by Volthorn: 18 January 2007 - 10:57 AM

#4 User is offline   Doronetty

Icon
Russian Federation
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:53 PM

Cool! One question: do you going to use Nights 3D model from Sonic Riders, yeah?

#5 User is offline   Volthorn

Icon
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:24 PM

View PostDoronetty, on Jan 18 2007, 01:53 PM, said:

Cool! One question: do you going to use Nights 3D model from Sonic Riders, yeah?
hmm i havent played sonic riders. id have to use the origional i think or the origional animations will not work unless the sonic rider model has the same amount of bones as the nights model has body segments. (i suppose bones could be created for the sonic rider mesh layed out in the same way as the nights model) only thing i worry about in that idea is, if nights is so high polygon, he will stick out like a soar thumb and poor claris and eliot will look like marrionettes comparatively.

#6 User is offline   Volthorn

Icon
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:13 AM

today i found the table for sprite and model texturesheres a pic of the textures for sprites and models in claris' first levelPosted Image

#7 User is offline   spiritofthecult

Icon
Interest:
Fangamer

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:49 PM

I like where this thread is going :) , i was playing Nights the otherday ^^

#8 User is offline   Bio-Frost

Icon
United States
Interest:
Artist

Posted 19 January 2007 - 11:06 PM

I would love to see this really come together, pulling out my old Saturn is getting annoying when i just wanna play this is Clockwork nights.

#9 User is offline   Hinchy

• i mean it!!!!!!!!!!1
Icon
United States
Interest:
Nuisance

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:54 PM

Oh god yes. I never played Nights and have wanted it for so long.

#10 User is offline   Cryomancer

Icon
United States
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:36 PM

View PostYesIAmAnIdiot, on Jan 20 2007, 06:54 PM, said:

Oh god yes. I never played Nights and have wanted it for so long.
Saturn + NiGHTS on ebay is like, less than 40 bux.

#11 User is offline   Trunks

• The user of the unloved Mac.
Icon
United States
Interest:
Artist

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:50 AM

I'd be willing to try and recreate some of the textures in higher resolution. It's always something I've wanted to try.

#12 SANiK

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:21 PM

God speed to ya Volthorn =oAs for object placementSEGA first made NiGHTsThen started Sonic Adventure on the SaturnThe two games share similar programming aspects "so far"So I'm hoping that knowing one game might help figure out the other.Sonic Adventure keeps its objects in a list form in .bin files.The header just consists of "object total" and then after that is a list of object IDs + XYZ position + XYZ rotation + misc args per objectBest bet is to attach to the sgl matrix translate function and then see how the objects are being plotted, working backwards.

#13 User is offline   Volthorn

Icon
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:41 AM

View PostTrunks, on Jan 20 2007, 11:50 PM, said:

Best bet is to attach to the sgl matrix translate function and then see how the objects are being plotted, working backwards.
ive discovered that nights didnt use the sgl, just the sbl. any other ideas?ive also found something interesting. to find the object placement ive been working with a stone archway type of object that goes over a stream on the terrain. it is a standard attach object like as is explained in your format post. i put a break point on "read word" on one of the polygon vertex indexes. as expected the breakpoint fired as soon as the archway was close engouh to be rendered. but, it wasnt getting the vertex from the vertex buffer, it was using the index as an index into another vertex buffer sitting near the end of memory. as far as i could tell this vertex buffer was already translated to camera coordinates. and ive tried setting a breakpoint on write to that memory to see when it was put there/updated, but it never fired. maybe the slave cpu put it there?

#14 SANiK

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:37 PM

View PostVolthorn, on Jan 23 2007, 10:41 AM, said:

ive also found something interesting. to find the object placement ive been working with a stone archway type of object that goes over a stream on the terrain. it is a standard attach object like as is explained in your format post. i put a break point on "read word" on one of the polygon vertex indexes. as expected the breakpoint fired as soon as the archway was close engouh to be rendered. but, it wasnt getting the vertex from the vertex buffer, it was using the index as an index into another vertex buffer sitting near the end of memory. as far as i could tell this vertex buffer was already translated to camera coordinates. and ive tried setting a breakpoint on write to that memory to see when it was put there/updated, but it never fired. maybe the slave cpu put it there?
Hmm...It's def. the slave CPU then. Must be a cache to store the results of the vertex/matrix multiplications.Remember how we were looking for the Object struct with a scale, translation, and rotation per attach struct?In Sonic Adventure, static-one-time-use models were plotted onto the map using the OBJECT struct's "position."The OBJECT struct below is based on SGL. What NiGHTs used must be a cut down version of the OBJECT struct since NiGHTs' code IS nothing but the SGL before it became an independent LIB for programmers. But anyways, it would be possible to plot the same mesh in different areas by making a list of OBJECT structs that point to the same ATTACH struct. So I'm guessing that this might be another way that SEGA could have pulled it offtypedef struct OBJECT{ATTACH *attach;float position[3]; word angle[3];float scale[3];struct OBJECT *child;struct OBJECT *sibling;} OBJECT;

This post has been edited by SANiK: 23 January 2007 - 05:54 PM

#15 User is offline   Trunks

Icon
United States
Interest:
Artist

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:03 AM

I've honestly never played the game, as much as I may have wanted to in the past.Just send me a couple little things to work with, and I'll try my hand.

#16 User is offline   Volthorn

Icon
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:39 AM

I got the terrain engine up and working in xna.made a digi camera video of it running on my xbox 360.nights clone terrain engine videoits funny that not much was needed for the terrain engine, 360 can brute force render the entire map all at once like it was a peice of cake.

#17 User is offline   Infiniti

Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:54 AM

Oh yay! thats looking great.

#18 User is offline   Trunks

Icon
United States
Interest:
Artist

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:43 PM

So howabout sending me some terrain textures to play with, hm?

#19 User is offline   ICEknight

Icon
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:16 PM

Increasing the drawing distance looks great and all, but wouldn't that prevent the player from seeing the level's main background? I'm fearing it would look too "closed" in comparison to the "open field" feel from the original.

#20 User is offline   Volthorn

Icon
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:27 PM

View PostICEknight, on Feb 2 2007, 04:16 PM, said:

Increasing the drawing distance looks great and all, but wouldn't that prevent the player from seeing the level's main background? I'm fearing it would look too "closed" in comparison to the "open field" feel from the original.
yes thats an important issue. i mentioned it once in an earlier post. the engine now is rendering every node within the view frustrum. eventualy it will only render to a certain distance, and instead of just choping off the polygons when they dont fall within the defined distance, there will be 2 defined distances... the first will be polygons beyond this distance will have each pixel given an alpha valuethe second will be polygons beyond this distance will not be drawnthe alpha value will be (distance2-distance of pixel being drawn)/(distance2-distance1)so the pixels after the threshhold will blend into the backdropthis will be done in the pixel shader so it can use the already calculated zbuffer value for each pixel

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users