X-CulT Community Forums: Time to help The Government nuke Norton - X-CulT Community Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Time to help The Government nuke Norton and fix his p2p problems, once and for all!

#1 User is offline   The Government

• la belle dame sans fucks
Icon
Interest:
Been around forever

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:05 AM

I suppose I'll start from the beginning. Ever since I started using this particular PC and router last month, I've been having problems such as this:Posted ImageTorrents are all yellow all the time, Limewire always detects a firewall, eMule always gives me a LowID -- everything p2p sucks, even though I'm NOT running a firewall. So, I checked the ports in utorrent and get this:Posted ImageI investigated my particular type of router -- a Linksys WRT54G v3, and found out that the WRT54 family's firmware is notorious for fucking up p2p apps and making them run slowly with bad connectivity, and that I should be using this firmware, instead of the lameass Linksys firmware. "Holy shit! This sounds like exactly what I need!", I think to myself -- and I install the firmware that promises to eliminate my router's p2p constipation. Afterwards, I reboot my router, forward all the necessary ports, and open utorrent back up -- it's still yellow.Knowing that sometimes it takes a bit for torrents to go green, I open up LimeWire to see if it still detects a firewall -- and it does. Becoming very annoyed at this point, I blitzkrieg into my router's settings and fucking DESTROY every possible problem. I kill my router firewall, all security measures, and DMZ my PC. My router is now a non-issue, and I have no firewalls running -- or so I thought. As it turns out, even if you disable Norton, it never COMPLETELY goes away. Thus I decided that since I never use Norton anyways, I'd just get rid of it entirely. I found this bad boy and ran it:Posted ImageAfter my computer rebooted, I looked for any trace of Norton Internet Security in the system tray, program files folder, and add/remove programs list. Much to my delight, I found NOTHING whatsoever. I thought for sure my troubles were over -- turns out, they were still exactly the same. I screwed around in Control Panel looking for ANYTHING I might have missed, and I found this:Posted ImageNorton is STILL on my fucking system SOMEHOW in SOME FORM -- and even then, I can't be 100% sure it's the root of my p2p problems (although I think it is). Now I'm mad. I'm also out of fucking ideas.So, what should I do /b/?

#2 User is offline   khorney

• 0.o;;
Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:51 AM

it may be your router, i recently had troubles like this with my linksys router, but it was just some settings i had to change (port triggering rather than just regular port forwarding).

#3 User is offline   The Government

Icon
Interest:
Been around forever

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:16 AM

View Postkhorney, on Jan 15 2007, 11:51 PM, said:

it may be your router, i recently had troubles like this with my linksys router, but it was just some settings i had to change (port triggering rather than just regular port forwarding).
If you had bothered to read, you would have noticed that I've already done everything possible to my router. I've even removed it entirely and just hooked the line right into my PC, to no avail. It has to be a software firewall of some kind.

#4 User is offline   Cryomancer

Icon
United States
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:36 AM

Posted Imageof course after i made this i realized it said norton there, not the XP firewall, go me.so yeah norton kinda molests your OS, something must still be using it. See if that removal tool can run at boot-time or something, likely when you tried to run it, norton was still stealthily running somewhere or some shit like that (you know, exactly like spyware).alternatively you could scour your registry or try a program like process explorer (i THINK that's what it was called).

#5 User is offline   Sintendo

Icon
Belgium
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:43 AM

If all fails, I'd do a clean Windows install. That would get rid of Norton. Might be a bit drastic, but since you only started using it last month I don't think this will be too much of a problem.

#6 User is offline   The Government

Icon
Interest:
Been around forever

Posted 16 January 2007 - 01:47 AM

already checke dprocess explorer, and no norton processes were running. I don't really have a lot of experience messing around in the registry, so unless I know exactly what I'm doing, I don't want to risk fucking up windows.Edit: Sintendo, reinstalling windows would be a major fucking pain.

This post has been edited by The Government: 16 January 2007 - 01:49 AM

#7 User is offline   Cryomancer

Icon
United States
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:04 AM

Well, you should fucking have to format just to get rid of a program. Norton thinks they are allowed to do this shit, they really shouldn't.

#8 User is offline   khorney

• 0.o;;
Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:35 AM

huh, i have norton, and one day it stopped working randomly despite having all ports forwarded on the router, then i did port triggering and it worked...but i guess if you connected it directly that rules that out. registry isn't that difficult, you can just search for entries with norton in them then change them to whatever. at least i havn't payed to update mine yet, still on the trial that came with the computer =Pa quick google search revealed some articles pertaining to the removal of said software:http://www.askdaveta..._my_system.htmlhttp://service1.syma...005033108162039and for lol's sake:http://www.uninstall-norton.com./people asking money to uninstall norton for you. classic

#9 User is offline   Volthorn

Icon
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:09 AM

View Postkhorney, on Jan 16 2007, 04:35 AM, said:

huh, i have norton, and one day it stopped working randomly despite having all ports forwarded on the router, then i did port triggering and it worked...but i guess if you connected it directly that rules that out. registry isn't that difficult, you can just search for entries with norton in them then change them to whatever. at least i havn't payed to update mine yet, still on the trial that came with the computer =Pa quick google search revealed some articles pertaining to the removal of said software:http://www.askdaveta..._my_system.htmlhttp://service1.syma...005033108162039and for lol's sake:http://www.uninstall-norton.com./people asking money to uninstall norton for you. classic
just try start>run>msconfig and go to services, then disable any services that seem like they are norton. hide microsoft services to make them easier to spot. thats what id do anyways

#10 User is offline   Overlord

• Postcount whoring since 2003~
Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:33 PM

Norton is one of a few applications (AOL is another) that it's easier to reformat and start from scratch to remove rather than uninstall. I have a computer kicking about still that has it as the antivirus and firewall (I realised my mistake long ago, other computers in the house use other applications), but I can't be arsed doing the procedure to remove it from the one machine it's still on.

#11 User is offline   SSUK

• Rule Britannia, mother fuckers!
Icon
Little Planet
Interest:
LOVES FRANZ'S PULSATING MEGA COCK

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:11 AM

http://news.bbc.co.u...ess/6268687.stmUplifting post of thread... get...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users