X-CulT Community Forums: New Sonic Genesis screens - X-CulT Community Forums

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Sonic Genesis screens Pallete issue?

#1 User is offline   Spindash54

• HOLY SHIT! I changed my avatar!
Icon
United States
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:50 AM

Posted Image Posted ImageOk....Posted Image

#2 User is offline   khorney

• 0.o;;
Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:59 AM

is it me, or souldnt the colours on the ball be slightly different?

#3 User is offline   Zeck

Icon
Saint Lucia
Interest:
Classic Amy Fan

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:22 AM

View Postkhorney, on Oct 7 2006, 10:59 AM, said:

is it me, or souldnt the colours on the ball be slightly different?
yesPosted Image

#4 User is offline   Bronze God

• I am kind.
Icon
Nicaragua
Interest:
Musician

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:25 AM

This game just looks fail, I'm sorry. It's too scrunched in, and I don't think any amount of soundtrack remixes is gonna make up for that in my book. They could have shrinked the sprites a little (a la Sonic Mobile) to make the viewing range bigger, but for some reason, they didn't.So I say no thanks.

#5 User is offline   Tweaker

• A thrilling mystery!
Icon
United States
Interest:
Hacker

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:33 AM

I don't know how you manage to get the colors wrong on a ball, when it's the easiest thing in the world to convert a pallet. Why would they even release those screens? It lacks all logic to me, especially if they're trying to appeal to people.On a side note, anyone notice that the water is darker in GHZ? Looks more like the color of the title screen's water.

#6 User is offline   khorney

• 0.o;;
Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 07 October 2006 - 10:51 AM

why do they even have to mess with the palettes? isnt the GBA more powerful than the genesis? or have i got the wrong idea here

#7 User is offline   Tweaker

• A thrilling mystery!
Icon
United States
Interest:
Hacker

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:07 AM

View Postkhorney, on Oct 7 2006, 11:51 AM, said:

why do they even have to mess with the palettes? isnt the GBA more powerful than the genesis? or have i got the wrong idea here
The GBA supports more colors, yeah, but they have to convert the palette entries from a Genesis compatible format to a GBA compatible format. That's all good and well, and is simple to do... This particular fuckup seems to stem from the art data itself, not the palletes (as the ball normally uses the ground colors).Once again, why they would even post a new screenshot with a fuckup of that magnitude is unfathomable. Honestly, we all know they're lazy, but what the fuck?

#8 User is offline   IUG

• red power
Icon
United States
Interest:
Jaded Sonic Fan

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:33 AM

Doesn't the ball "shimmer" like that when you hit Robotnik? That would mean only one screen is messed up. Maybe the code for him to react when hit isn't quite in yet, so they just had the second pallet going to show him being struck, and the first one is the only messed up one. I mean, the first one you can't see his face, so you don't know if it's stuck in the "angry-face".

#9 User is offline   Spindash54

• HOLY SHIT! I changed my avatar!
Icon
United States
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:43 AM

View PostIUG, on Oct 7 2006, 12:33 PM, said:

Doesn't the ball "shimmer" like that when you hit Robotnik? That would mean only one screen is messed up. Maybe the code for him to react when hit isn't quite in yet, so they just had the second pallet going to show him being struck, and the first one is the only messed up one. I mean, the first one you can't see his face, so you don't know if it's stuck in the "angry-face".
Nope, only Robotnik shimmers. Ball stays brown and keeps rotating between the several patterns.

#10 User is offline   DimensionWarped

Icon
United States
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:16 PM

They could always be uh... changing things.ANyway, I pretty distinctly remember the ball shimmering as well. On the other hand, I also remember it flashing wildly regardless of whether he was hit or not. Maybe I'm crazy though.

#11 User is offline   Yuski

• OMG! She will rape me!
Icon
Brazil
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:21 PM

I´ll not buy this crap... everything on this port looks wrong!

#12 User is offline   SSUK

• Rule Britannia, mother fuckers!
Icon
Little Planet
Interest:
LOVES FRANZ'S PULSATING MEGA COCK

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:33 PM

"Oh gods, they messed up a ball pallet, this game blows, I wont buy it."To sum this topic up thus far.Personally, I like the idea, the screen is trimmed, but if you leave them to resize the visuals they'll fuck it up, a lot like Sonic Mobile (Resizing made the visuals look like ass). But hell, other games like this have done it like Super Mario Deluxe, the screen was as small as shit, but it would have looked better the way it was than to shrink everything just so you got the same style screen display you would on a TV. =/If you don't like the looks of it, then at least just emulate it, see if you like it. I know I'll be getting it. So...

#13 User is offline   Steven M

• Space Atlantis
Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
Artist

Posted 07 October 2006 - 01:17 PM

At least it isn't a case of small screen, huge sprites like Sonic Epoch.

#14 User is offline   Raiser

Icon
Canada
Interest:
Jaded Sonic Fan

Posted 07 October 2006 - 01:39 PM

Though it would be stupid to judge the whole game based on a few screenshots, I can say that a stupid bug/edit like this publicly released as a screenshot doesn't give me a good feeling about how this port will be handled. Hopefully, this is just a bug that will be fixed before the final build and not some retarded edit on Sega's part to cover up the rideable checker ball that was removed from the game over 15 years ago and used as Robotnik's weapon. I know that doesn't very seem logical, but this IS Sega we're talking about.On the topic of limited visibility: Since the GBA has a terrible resolution, it's understandable that they went with a smaller visible area, but do they really need to make half the screen to show the ground beneath Sonic? It would be more logical to have it just show a little bit of ground beneath Sonic and use the L/R buttons to scroll the screen for times when you need to see more of the area above and below. I'm sure that ducking and looking up will also be limited by the GBA's resolution, so this would fix that. (I haven't read too much on this game, so if something like that was said to be implemented, disregard that comment.)Though I haven't heard the music yet, I only hope that it isn't as terrible as the Sonic 1 music in the Sonic Advance games and Pinball Party. On the plus side, they didn't redraw everything using Sonic Advance graphics...

#15 User is offline   McAleeCh

• Could have written "The From of Running"
Icon
England
Interest:
Artist

Posted 07 October 2006 - 01:57 PM

Well first off, that's new art for the wrecker ball as it seems to have both the shine from the 'blank' ball and the checkers. =P Meaning they might be planning on constructing a new pallette line for it to use which has darker browns, rather than 'faking it' as on the Megadrive.Secondly, it appears that it's probably just using the wrong pallette line at present. Someone switch the wrecker ball art to use the second pallette line, I'd imagine it'd look like that - the greys and the yellows are in roughly the right places to match up with the ground colours on the correct pallette line, if memory serves. =PEDIT: Didn't notice, but all three shades of yellow ARE used - the lightest one's in the shine, so I didn't notice it. =P

This post has been edited by McAleeCh: 07 October 2006 - 02:02 PM

#16 User is offline   Dark Sonic

• Alright I'm done here. Ban plz
Icon
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 07 October 2006 - 03:59 PM

It's probably just a small error right now that should be fixed. It looks like they are using Eggman's ship's pallete (well a certian line of it anyways). It should follow Green Hill Zone's pallete.Also, what the hell is up with that score?

This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 07 October 2006 - 04:00 PM

#17 User is offline   rika_chou

Icon
Interest:
Hacker

Posted 07 October 2006 - 04:03 PM

View PostMcAleeCh, on Oct 7 2006, 02:57 PM, said:

Well first off, that's new art for the wrecker ball as it seems to have both the shine from the 'blank' ball and the checkers. =P Meaning they might be planning on constructing a new pallette line for it to use which has darker browns, rather than 'faking it' as on the Megadrive.Secondly, it appears that it's probably just using the wrong pallette line at present. Someone switch the wrecker ball art to use the second pallette line, I'd imagine it'd look like that - the greys and the yellows are in roughly the right places to match up with the ground colours on the correct pallette line, if memory serves. =PEDIT: Didn't notice, but all three shades of yellow ARE used - the lightest one's in the shine, so I didn't notice it. =P
^ smartest post yet.

#18 User is offline   Tweaker

• A thrilling mystery!
Icon
United States
Interest:
Hacker

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:29 PM

Hmm, so you think it's a mappings issue? Makes sense - I can see that color scheme coming from reading the wrong pallet line. But I think my point goes beyond that - it's a simple error to fix, and there's absolutely NO excuse to be publically releasing a screenshot with such an obvious bug that, quite frankly, shouldn't have even surfaced, had they been doing things right.

#19 User is offline   R. Solaris

Icon
Interest:
Hacker

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:36 PM

The ball basically loads seperate mappings as the chain is loaded in the Megadrive version so it's definately possible it's a mappings issue.

#20 User is offline   FlightPrevails

• Point at above post.
Icon
United States
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:52 PM

Actually, I think both the score and the pallette problems are there because it's a beta. I think they shouldn't be putting out screenshots at all at this point - it's a budget remake. No one really needs screenshots.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users