X-CulT Community Forums: Do I need a new power supply? - X-CulT Community Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do I need a new power supply? Please help ASAP ;_;

#1 User is offline   Just Me

Icon
Canada
Interest:
Writer

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:29 AM

Hey guys and gals, I recently bought a new hard drive, a new case and a bunch of mod stuff for my case (lasers, more fans etc.)Now I can't have all of my hard drives plugged in at once or it hangs at the boot screen (you know, PRESS ESC TO ENTER BIOS screen). This is my first time doing the whole mod thing, so I'm wondering if I'm over-taxing my power supply or if I'm just retarded and missed something else. My hard drives are as follows: 40 GB IDE (master with WinXP), 200 GB IDE (slave), 160 GB SATA and 300 GB SATA.Is this a case of an over-use on the power supply? I double checked, the power supply is 500 watt.Thanks in advance for any advice, and lemme know if more info is needed. I really need this solved as soon as possible so I can order a new power supply (if that's what I need) and get my computer up and running.P.S. Sorry for being a n00b, this is my first time with modding stuff :/P.P.S. Neon friggin' rules ^_^EDIT: I unplugged all of the fans, lasers, etc. and suddenly all four drives worked. I know this sounds like a dumb question, but does it matter where the fans etc. are plugged in? I have them all on the same cord coming from the PSU; should I put some in different places? Or do I just need a better PSU?Thanks again in advance.

This post has been edited by Just Me: 26 July 2006 - 12:58 AM

#2 User is offline   The Government

• la belle dame sans fucks
Icon
Interest:
Been around forever

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:15 AM

I think you need to leave your house unlocked so I can "borrow" that motherfucker. (700GB total!? holy christ!)Really though, you answered your own question. Try messing wih the cords. I can't see a 500-watt supply being too little for anything, unless the damn thing can walk.

#3 User is offline   Just Me

Icon
Canada
Interest:
Writer

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:24 AM

View PostThe Government, on Jul 26 2006, 02:15 AM, said:

I think you need to leave your house unlocked so I can "borrow" that motherfucker. (700GB total!? holy christ!)Really though, you answered your own question. Try messing wih the cords. I can't see a 500-watt supply being too little for anything, unless the damn thing can walk.
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Right now I'm formatting my 300GB HDD to NTFS for actual use, but I'll mess with the cords afterwards. And I have to be up for work in 5 hours or so :/ Being a secretary sucks, not to mention when it's on too little of sleep.Thanks again for the reply.

#4 User is offline   The Government

• la belle dame sans fucks
Icon
Interest:
Been around forever

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:28 AM

No problem @ the reply, just don't take it as gospel. The PSU could be short if you have a gazillion fans/lasers, but if it's just a couple, then it really should be more than enough juice.

This post has been edited by The Government: 26 July 2006 - 01:30 AM

#5 User is offline   Just Me

Icon
Canada
Interest:
Writer

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:35 AM

View PostThe Government, on Jul 26 2006, 02:28 AM, said:

No problem @ the reply, just don't take it as gospel. The PSU could be short if you have a gazillion fans/lasers, but if it's just a couple, then it really should be more than enough juice.
I have two lasers, two neon bar thingies, two 80mm fans, one 120mm fan, one HDD fan and a temp. gauge from the front of the case. Also on the PSU, I have the motherboard (obviously), the four hard drives (two SATA and two IDE), two disc-drives, SLI connection for dual video cards, and floppy drive.Too much? Dunno.

#6 User is offline   Link

• Leader of the unknown troops to rescue the universe
Icon
Germany
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:57 AM

Well, 500W sounds okay... but now let me ask a question.. what other components besides Harddisks do you have.. I call myself a 250GB+80GB+60GB and 2 DVD drivers (1 writer) my own and 480W are okay - but I do not have any mods.Do you actually have one of the following:-Graphics card which requires additional power supply not coming from the AGP or PCI-E slot (I for example have a Geforce 6600 GT which requires one power connection for the card and one power connection for the fan) - as you have a SLI connection if both take additional power, they might take much-what CPU type (it doesn't mean that newer ones necissarily want more power but there are specific one which eat much power)All in all for your modding stuff 500W seems hard at the limit. Can you borrow a new one and just try (I do not know your law but over here I can always return anything within 14 days with money back warranty if I didn't damage anything).

#7 User is offline   Just Me

Icon
Canada
Interest:
Writer

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:03 AM

View PostLink, on Jul 26 2006, 02:57 AM, said:

Well, 500W sounds okay... but now let me ask a question.. what other components besides Harddisks do you have.. I call myself a 250GB+80GB+60GB and 2 DVD drivers (1 writer) my own and 480W are okay - but I do not have any mods.Do you actually have one of the following:-Graphics card which requires additional power supply not coming from the AGP or PCI-E slot (I for example have a Geforce 6600 GT which requires one power connection for the card and one power connection for the fan) - as you have a SLI connection if both take additional power, they might take much-what CPU type (it doesn't mean that newer ones necissarily want more power but there are specific one which eat much power)All in all for your modding stuff 500W seems hard at the limit. Can you borrow a new one and just try (I do not know your law but over here I can always return anything within 14 days with money back warranty if I didn't damage anything).
The two graphics cards require one extra power supply shared between them. My CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2.0 Ghz). Also, I do not know if I can borrow another power supply, but I'll do my best to look into it. Thanks for the reply.

#8 User is offline   hxc

• spotteddove
Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 26 July 2006 - 04:06 AM

SLI is notoriously power hungry, which 2 cards have you got?And is it a known brand PSU? If its a cheapo generic one it can probably only supply about 250watts. Go for something from: FSP Sparkle, Entermax, Seasonic, or Tagen.

#9 User is offline   Just Me

Icon
Canada
Interest:
Writer

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:22 AM

View Posthxc, on Jul 26 2006, 05:06 AM, said:

SLI is notoriously power hungry, which 2 cards have you got?And is it a known brand PSU? If its a cheapo generic one it can probably only supply about 250watts. Go for something from: FSP Sparkle, Entermax, Seasonic, or Tagen.
I don't have the two video cards actually SLI'd, but there's a red light on my motherboard that comes on if I don't plug a power supply into the slot next to it (red lights usually mean BAD THINGS, and the red light only comes on when I have both cards inserted, but no power supply to the slot).Here are my video cards (as copy/pasted from TigerDirect.ca, which is where I bought them)EVGA GeForce 6200 LE Turbocache / 128MB GDDR2 / Supports 512MB with Turbcache / PCI Express / DVI / VGA / TV Out / Video Card XFX GeForce 6500 TurboCache / 128MB GDDR2 / Supporting 256MB with TurboCache / PCI Express / DVI / VGA / TV Out / Video CardAnd here's my power supply:Ultra / X-Finity / 500-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / SLI-Ready / Black / Power Supply

#10 User is offline   El_Maska_45

• UNLIMITED POWEEEEEERRRRRR!!!!!!!
Icon
Spain
Interest:
Hacker

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:12 AM

Wait, what? How can you add 4 hdd and a cd drive? I thought that the max of total devices I could add were 4.

#11 User is offline   Spinel

• 地獄の兄弟
Icon
United States
Interest:
Pervert

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:09 AM

View PostEl_Maska_45, on Jul 28 2006, 09:12 AM, said:

Wait, what? How can you add 4 hdd and a cd drive? I thought that the max of total devices I could add were 4.
because two of her HDDs are Serial ATA not ATA/IDE.

#12 User is offline   CrimsonNugget

Icon
United States
Interest:
Nuisance

Posted 28 July 2006 - 01:49 PM

View PostEl_Maska_45, on Jul 28 2006, 10:12 AM, said:

Depends on the motherboard, plus you can add additional pci ide controller cards.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users