X-CulT Community Forums: Anyone interested in collaborating on a comic series? - X-CulT Community Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Anyone interested in collaborating on a comic series? I'd write, you'd do the art obviously

#1 User is offline   deepbluevibes aka dbv

Icon
United States
Interest:
Musician

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:48 PM

I don't want to offer up many details here just due to secrecy (of the story) but rest assured, if you PM me, i'll send you a summary of the story in the condition you don't tell anyone else.We'd have 50/50 ownership of the series, it would be online at first and then go to print if possible.Webcomic artists actually make it thier day job once their comic gets famous enough, and I know how to promote good. Not to mention that so far disapproval rate of the storyline, out of close to 100 people (none of whom were family or friends), is less than 4%.You'd have to be comfortable drawing in a comic book style (american or asian, doesn't matter, although the story does technically lend itself to be more "flowing/asian" in style), and i could do lettering if needed.It would be in B&W unless somehow coloring doesn't make you go slow. I'd hope for 5 days a week comics but we could negotiate of course, and you'd also have your say in the comic's storyline at certain parts that are flexible as well, able to add in your own characters as long as they fit in with continuity also.THIS IS NOT A SONIC/FURRY COMIC AT ALL. One of the species eventually found may be an "animal" type but it won't be anything like furries.Also, you must be comfortable drawing action scenes/violence or at least willing to get better at it, and there are a few scenes that are definitely "R" rated, so if you're squeamish or something, then.. probably wouldn't work. (they're tasteful though.)Finally, I don't have just a "summary" of this in my head and on paper; i've thought the entire storyline through except for one part i've left deliberately open so the artist can have his or her own personal touch on the series; i just have kept most of it in my head for secrecy reasons, and on notes, wouldn't want anyone stealing it.Sooo yeah. anyone interested, PM me or if you have any more questions, ask me this topic or through PM, thanks.

#2 User is offline   IUG

• red power
Icon
United States
Interest:
Jaded Sonic Fan

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:43 PM

God, it needs to be a rule on this form, "No starting a project if you're just the director/manager/writer"."You do all the work! I get all the credit!"

#3 User is offline   Gen

• HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~
Icon
United States
Interest:
LOVES FRANZ'S PULSATING MEGA COCK
Hank Hill's propane filled narrow urethra

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:45 PM

Posted ImageDO I MEET THE VIOLENCE REQUIREMENT?!?!?!?!?!?Make it 10-20% credit for you, and 90-80% for me, and we'll talk.kthx

This post has been edited by Gen: 11 July 2006 - 05:49 PM

#4 User is offline   Tweaker

• A thrilling mystery!
Icon
United States
Interest:
Hacker

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:04 PM

I dunno, if I was an avid fan of a comic series, I'd be worshiping the artist more than anyone, regardless of who wrote the story. But that's just me.

#5 User is offline   deepbluevibes aka dbv

Icon
United States
Interest:
Musician

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:19 PM

View PostIUG, on Jul 11 2006, 05:43 PM, said:

We'd have 50/50 ownership of the series, it would be online at first and then go to print if possible.
gj reading, i would figure the artist would get FAR more credit than the writer, seeing as it IS a comic.Gen, your art is ok but the coloring is kinda ehhh...plus, it's 50/50, period. The artist is making the art, but seeing as their stuff is the ARTWORK, they'll get far more public recognition, even though i've done the entire story myself. without the story, the artist has nothing, and vice versa.Maybe if I were working with professional, marvel/dc/manga artists then i'd do what you said but... nah.

This post has been edited by deepbluevibes aka dbv: 11 July 2006 - 07:23 PM

#6 User is offline   Gen

• HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~
Icon
United States
Interest:

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:30 PM

Posted ImageI can do color quite nicely. And its all according to the art style I choose as well.Blood + Gore + violence = less vibrant colorsSonic + Blood + Gore + violence = [insert Juggernaut saying what the fuck is this shit?]

This post has been edited by Gen: 11 July 2006 - 07:33 PM

#7 User is offline   SSUK

• Rule Britannia, mother fuckers!
Icon
Little Planet
Interest:

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:35 PM

View PostGen, on Jul 12 2006, 01:30 AM, said:

Sonic + Blood + Gore + violence = [insert Juggernaut saying what the fuck is this shit?]
Much better ver of Shadow the Hedgehog.

#8 User is offline   IUG

• red power
Icon
United States
Interest:
Jaded Sonic Fan

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:16 PM

View Postdeepbluevibes aka dbv, on Jul 11 2006, 08:19 PM, said:

plus, it's 50/50, period.
Yeah, you just said it's 50/50 because you said so. Good compromise. The way I see it, you sit there and think, how many hours did it take for you to draw that Gen?

#9 User is offline   Gen

• HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~
Icon
United States
Interest:

Posted 11 July 2006 - 08:25 PM

It took me approx. a few days to draw Sonic and shade him properly and add color, not even an hour for the background with color, so altogether... 3 days if you count how long it took me to finally decide on what filters looked good and what looked like shit in Core Image Fun House, and their settings.

#10 User is offline   IUG

• red power
Icon
United States
Interest:
Jaded Sonic Fan

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:08 AM

Since he got banned, this is what he had to say on the subject to me via PM.

uh[ Forward PM | Reply ]Personal Messagedeepbluevibes aka dbv uh, Today, 04:56 AMDelete Post Quote PostGroup IconGroup: CulT MembersPosts: 12Member No.: 1,067Joined: Yesterday, 04:37 PMRating: -< 0 ( 1 ) 10 >+ you realize that it may have taken him three hours to draw that, but i know people who could draw that image in about 20 minutes, with color.also, i've spent three years, hundreds upon thousands of hours crafting, refining, etc. to this story.it's at least three times as long as lord of the rings, for a comparision, it's not the same genre at all, but it's massively large, will have a ton of non-cliche plot twists (i made sure of this, this is what took the longest), has to have realistic character development, the dialogue, all of it.sure, it may take someone an hour or two to do a page once i give them the script.but how long do you think it takes me to write that script? to keep continuity? to create new characters that are realistic, interesting, and the reader can relate with, plus they have to match the artist's art style?not to mention creating and describing landscapes for the artist in just words, situations, having to describe action correctly, making sure the story flows day to day with only one page a day being shown, but also still flows good for a book, etc. etc.writing is a *lot* damn harder than you'd think, and easily deserves just as much recognition as artistry, and takes just as much work. especially when you have to have an artist interpret what you're telling them. i'd post this on the page but i got my posting priviledges removed due to mod abuse, so oh well.
Look out Tolken, you got some epic shit competing with you. :-DEDIT: PS: It wasn't me who took away his posting ability.

#11 User is offline   SirBukkake

• I'm untouchable, Borisz.
Icon
Philippines
Interest:
Scapegoat

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:49 PM

Since he's gone, I want to say this:On a serious tip, to anyone who wants to do work in the creative industry.never, never, never, never, NEVER NEVER NEVER do work-for-hire. And this is a Prime example of that.The law states that if you are doing work-for-hire, you will NOT be a legal author of your work, the employer will get 100% control of YOUR work.http://en.wikipedia....i/Work_for_hirehttp://www.dinoart.c...s/prt1pg04.htmlAlways get reimbursed for your work, always. Protect yourself.

This post has been edited by SirBukkake: 12 July 2006 - 12:51 PM

#12 User is offline   Gen

• HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~
Icon
United States
Interest:

Posted 12 July 2006 - 02:40 PM

So, what exactly is this story thats so awesome it deserves a comic?
I'd write it in novel form, but it would just be better as a comic, that's all.I'll give you a summary eventually, i'm tired and need to sleep asap[/quote]Doing a great job there buck-o.

#13 User is offline   deepbluevibes aka dbv

Icon
United States
Interest:
Musician

Posted 14 July 2006 - 05:01 PM

View PostSirBukkake, on Jul 12 2006, 12:49 PM, said:

Since he's gone, I want to say this:On a serious tip, to anyone who wants to do work in the creative industry.never, never, never, never, NEVER NEVER NEVER do work-for-hire. And this is a Prime example of that.The law states that if you are doing work-for-hire, you will NOT be a legal author of your work, the employer will get 100% control of YOUR work.http://en.wikipedia....i/Work_for_hirehttp://www.dinoart.c...s/prt1pg04.htmlAlways get reimbursed for your work, always. Protect yourself.
unless of course, i did a contract that signed over to him 50% of the license, the credits, and all money made from the series right? right.gen, if you had better artwork and could do it faster, i'd tell you. but why tell my story to someone with an additude like that and artwork like that?I had an artist doing this series before she moved off to college, and she did far better artwork far quicker. so why would I ever settle for less?

This post has been edited by deepbluevibes aka dbv: 14 July 2006 - 05:02 PM

#14 User is offline   Gen

• HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~
Icon
United States
Interest:

Posted 14 July 2006 - 05:48 PM

You haven't seen a whole lot of my work have you?  I can work fast when I want, it's a matter of me wanting to.  Color is what takes time, B&W is no problem.This took me about a day for me to finish for the most part:Posted ImageI'm well capable of working fast, I just don't want to most of the time.

#15 User is offline   deepbluevibes aka dbv

Icon
United States
Interest:
Musician

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:25 PM

a day... for that.yeah, way too long. artist i had before could have done that in about an hour.i can't do it myself, so don't assume i've said that.but also, your art style is way too "vague". i'm looking more for a clear cut, semi-detailed style, something like out of gantz or eden.

#16 User is offline   IUG

• red power
Icon
United States
Interest:
Jaded Sonic Fan

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:31 PM

Put up or shut up DBV. If your shit's so hot, make your own fucking art.This topic is pointless.

#17 User is offline   Cryomancer

Icon
United States
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 14 July 2006 - 11:25 PM

View Postdeepbluevibes aka dbv, on Jul 14 2006, 08:25 PM, said:

a day... for that.yeah, way too long. artist i had before could have done that in about an hour.i can't do it myself, so don't assume i've said that.but also, your art style is way too "vague". i'm looking more for a clear cut, semi-detailed style, something like out of gantz or eden.
GANTZ's backgrounds, vehicals, and weapons are all rendered 3D models doodgood call on locking this shit though IUG

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users