X-CulT Community Forums: N64 binary newsgroups - X-CulT Community Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

N64 binary newsgroups on comcast giganews?

#1 User is offline   Spinel

• 地獄の兄弟
Icon
United States
Interest:
Pervert

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:40 PM

For quite awhile (january was the last time I checked) ive been downloading N64 roms from alt.binaries.emulators.nintendo-64 now today I check it and it's completely dead save for a few spam. what gives?in addition to that group a few otheres are dead...alt.binaries.emulators.snesalt.binaries.emulators.nesalt.binaries.emulators.gameboy.color (was this ever used?)yet these groups are still lively... but no N64 roms therealt.binaries.emulators.nintendoalt.binaries.emulators.nintendo-dsalt.binaries.emulators.nintendo.dsalt.binaries.emulators.gameboyalt.binaries.emulators.gameboy.advancealt.binaries.nintendo.dsThis makes me think its not being blocked... why block old nintendo groups while letting the 0day GBA and ds groups run rampant. So i dont know what's goin on. anyone know? grap3, you got comcast, know anything?is there any other decent N64 groups?this really pisses me off.

This post has been edited by Spinel: 04 July 2006 - 02:41 PM

#2 User is offline   grap3fruitman

• President of Sonic Team
Icon
Poland
Interest:
Asshole

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:43 PM

You know, I barely used newsgroups because of the 1gb/month limit... I'd get a GCN iso and that'd be it. Looking for N64 roms never even occured to me.

#3 User is offline   Spinel

• 地獄の兄弟
Icon
United States
Interest:
Pervert

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:48 PM

View Postgrap3fruitman, on Jul 4 2006, 02:43 PM, said:

You know, I barely used newsgroups because of the 1gb/month limit... I'd get a GCN iso and that'd be it. Looking for N64 roms never even occured to me.
actually its 2GB now.And Its REALLY easy to get around it.

#4 User is offline   Overlord

• Postcount whoring since 2003~
Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:57 PM

Can you get at these groups if you aren't a Comcast customer...?I say this as Wanadoo's newsgroups have crap-all retention.

#5 User is offline   Spinel

• 地獄の兄弟
Icon
United States
Interest:
Pervert

Posted 04 July 2006 - 03:01 PM

View PostOverlord, on Jul 4 2006, 02:57 PM, said:

Can you get at these groups if you aren't a Comcast customer...?I say this as Wanadoo's newsgroups have crap-all retention.
assuming your news provideer doesn't suck....Giganews provides comcast access. I mentioned that incase giganews was specifically blocking alt.binaries.emulators.nintendo-64 for some dumb reason.

#6 User is offline   grap3fruitman

• President of Sonic Team
Icon
Poland
Interest:
Asshole

Posted 04 July 2006 - 03:04 PM

View PostSpinel, on Jul 4 2006, 02:48 PM, said:

!!NOW. TELL ME HOW.

#7 User is offline   Spinel

• 地獄の兄弟
Icon
United States
Interest:
Pervert

Posted 04 July 2006 - 06:47 PM

View Postgrap3fruitman, on Jul 4 2006, 03:04 PM, said:

!!NOW. TELL ME HOW.[/quote]The quota is stored per email not your entire account. but only the primary email can log in to newsgroups. Once you wasted your 2GB on you primary email, make one of your secondary emails the primary email. now you have another 2GB to play with. You can do this for all the emails you have (up to 7) and stop there or delete an email create a new one and make it the primary. (even if a primary email is moved to secondary it still remembers its quota)So assuming you dont delete any emails and make new ones you can have up to 14GB a month, 2GB per email and 7 emails.Ok so its not THAT easy. but still really dumb on comcasts part to allow this.

This post has been edited by Spinel: 04 July 2006 - 06:49 PM

#8 User is offline   Cryomancer

Icon
United States
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 04 July 2006 - 07:44 PM

gameboy.color is pretty dead for me, it has been used in the past, but not muchemulators.snes doesn't even show up on my LISTemulators.nes is 100% deadnintendo-64 is pretty damn dead too but that's been lively in the pastthis is all with newshosting and charter as an ISP.keep in mind that several filesharing communities (ie trackers) have given in to nintendo's requests not to share their roms and thus many places will not deal with nintendo roms at all. this may be the cause, or maybe nintendo somehow got the servers mostly shut down, who knows.

#9 User is offline   Spinel

• 地獄の兄弟
Icon
United States
Interest:
Pervert

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:51 PM

View PostCryomancer, on Jul 4 2006, 07:44 PM, said:

keep in mind that several filesharing communities (ie trackers) have given in to nintendo's requests not to share their roms and thus many places will not deal with nintendo roms at all. this may be the cause, or maybe nintendo somehow got the servers mostly shut down, who knows.
thats what I thought at first but 4!! groups (including a.b.e.nintendo) all heavily sharing DS ROMs plus the GBA group. YOud think they would be the high priority groups to attack.

#10 User is offline   Spinel

• 地獄の兄弟
Icon
United States
Interest:
Pervert

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:56 PM

unless there is another good n64 newsgroup, are their any decent n64 rom IRC channels (not just complete GoodN64 sets, I can go to any tracker for that and I dont have the space)? or god forbid, direct connect hubs?

This post has been edited by Spinel: 04 July 2006 - 08:56 PM

#11 User is offline   IUG

• red power
Icon
United States
Interest:
Jaded Sonic Fan

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:36 PM

Why don't you just find one of those complete sets and tell the BitTorrent program what to download? You could do "uncheck all" and then only check the one rom you want in Azureus.

#12 User is offline   Sintendo

Icon
Belgium
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:56 AM

Azureus sucks. Get µTorrent.

#13 User is offline   Cryomancer

Icon
United States
Interest:
Researcher

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:05 AM

sega palace on DC++ should have stuff. if you remember what it was you were looking for get ahold of me and i'll hook you up.

#14 User is offline   Spinel

• 地獄の兄弟
Icon
United States
Interest:
Pervert

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:51 AM

View PostIUG, on Jul 4 2006, 10:36 PM, said:

Why don't you just find one of those complete sets and tell the BitTorrent program what to download? You could do "uncheck all" and then only check the one rom you want in Azureus.
haha no. besides those complete sets are always rar'ed per country or whatever. so itd wou;d'nt work anyway.

#15 User is offline   Overlord

Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:28 PM

Actually, the N64 ones tend not to be....And by picking those groups up, I meant using Comcasts servers, not mine. My point was my ISP's newsgroups have shit retention =P

#16 User is offline   Spinel

• 地獄の兄弟
Icon
United States
Interest:
Pervert

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:26 PM

View PostOverlord, on Jul 5 2006, 12:28 PM, said:

Actually, the N64 ones tend not to be....And by picking those groups up, I meant using Comcasts servers, not mine. My point was my ISP's newsgroups have shit retention =P
you need a comcast account. but there not comcast servers. There giganews servers they provide comcast users (and other isps)access. you could always sign up for a normal giganews account...

#17 User is offline   Overlord

Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:00 PM

Yeah, but I'm a cheap bastard and want a free way of doing it =(

#18 User is offline   sonicblur

Icon
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:44 PM

View PostOverlord, on Jul 6 2006, 03:00 PM, said:

Yeah, but I'm a cheap bastard and want a free way of doing it =(
I was cheap and desprate for newsgroups my freshman year in college, and sort've lasted the entire year on free newsgroup servers. I found three of them that year. (Then my sophomore year I subscribed to a pay service for $2.95 a month. I'm still subscribed for over the summer, mainly because my roll-over bandwidth keeps piling up and I didn't want to lose it. I'll have a bunch of extra bandwidth when I start my Junior year this fall.)1. UsenetZone - They suck. They had pretty much every group I wanted when I tried them, but the retention was only a few days, and every binary post was incomplete. They'd only have on average 30 to 50% of every file. I also read somewhere that they sell your e-mail address to advertisers for spam, but I used a webmail account specifically for signing up for spam stuff like that.2. BigGulp - This server seemed to have a good completion rate of over 95%. A good place to go if you're desprate for fills. But as their site says, retention is only 3 days. Not only that, they don't require an account to login. Which means it's really hard to get an actual connection, because they have a total connections limit. Once you do manage to connect after trying for awhile, download speeds are capped around dialup speeds. I was getting on average 5k/sec.3. YottaNews - The best choice for free newsgroups. Binaries go back around a week, and retention is usually high. Free accounts have a monthly limit of 1 gig, and download speed speed is limited to around 45Kbytes/sec.Then there's freenet.de. They're a German ISP that offers free webmail accounts, which includes access to text-only newsgroups on their news server. If you login to their news server and download a group list, you'll only get the text only groups. However, customers of their internet service do have access to binary newsgroups. On a free webmail account, the binary newsgroups are there, the server just won't let you see them. So, you use a service such as YottaNews to grab the headers, then if you're using a newsgroup client that supports it, tell it to download the posts from the Freenet server instead. That was the solution I used. Freenet has 5 different servers, and I got about 60kbytes/sec from each one. I've heard each server refuses connections after about a gig of downloads, so I just added all 5 to my list and switched when it started rejecting me. Freenet's servers only have about 48 hours of retention, so it's important to grab things soon after they're posted.Not sure if this helps or not, wasn't sure if you were looking for free servers or not.

This post has been edited by sonicblur: 06 July 2006 - 09:49 PM

#19 User is offline   Overlord

Icon
United Kingdom
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:23 PM

That info's great, thanks. =)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic