OH SHIT, Sonic Rush find

#1 User is offline   Techokami

• SONIC MEETS DAVID THE GNOME
Icon
United States
Interest:
Hacker

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:27 PM

Okay so I've figured out how to rip the mostly uncompressed graphics of Sonic Rush recently with the correct palletes, and as I was doing a large scale sprite rip, I opened /act/ac_ene_tento.bac, and inside was the ladybug badnik of Sonic Advance 3.Posted ImageUsed for testing? Was Sonic Rush originally going to use Sonic Advance sprites?Discuss.

#2 User is offline   SSUK

• Rule Britannia, mother fuckers!
Icon
Little Planet
Interest:
LOVES FRANZ'S PULSATING MEGA COCK

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:34 PM

Me and Bray tried extracting uncompressed data, but didn't have the correct pallets, we thought we'd found an unused animal which comes out of badniks... Not sure of the origin of this sprite though... =/EDIT: Also mind RARing the decompiled mass of Rush files for me? Tools there to do it, surprise, surprise don't work on my PC properly. =(

This post has been edited by SSUK: 29 June 2006 - 01:36 PM

#3 User is offline   Sazpaimon

• <PACHUKA> sonic cult is the gay
Icon
United States
Interest:
General Fan

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:43 PM

Copy+Paste from what I said on IRC
[11:36] <SH2000> Like I said[11:37] <SH2000> most of the advance games are built off of eachother[11:37] <SH2000> this includes rush\[11:38] <SH2000> its most likely an early (and by early I mean most likely before they made models and possibly were running this on gba devkits before getting it on DS) engine tests[11:38] <SH2000> I mean, it isnt a MASSIVE discovery[11:39] <SH2000> search the advance series and Im sure there might be some remains of sprites from previous games[11:39] <SH2000> Sonic 3 had Sonic 2 menus hidden deep inside it, if you recall[11:39] <SH2000> Sega/Sonic Team loves to build games on top of eachother[11:39] <SH2000> it speeds up the process instead of coding a whole new engine

#4 User is offline   Techokami

Icon
United States
Interest:
Hacker

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:06 PM

SSUK: Uploading now. I'll add a link when it's done uploading.Pallete finding takes a bit of hex searching to find the 12 bytes before the first image, then go back 32 bytes for the start of the pallete.EDIT: Borisz, it's in Sonic Advance 3, first zone.

This post has been edited by Techokami: 29 June 2006 - 02:07 PM

#5 User is offline   SSUK

Icon
Little Planet
Interest:

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:12 PM

Borisz: It's from Sonic Advance 3... The first ever enemy you come across... (Other than Omochao. =P)Posted Image

This post has been edited by SSUK: 29 June 2006 - 02:13 PM

#6 User is offline   Techokami

Icon
United States
Interest:
Hacker

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:18 PM

SSUK: Here you go. WinRAR should be able to open 7z files.Mucho respect points to anyone that can decompress the Egg Hammer and item box graphics.

#7 User is offline   sonicblur

Icon
Interest:
Programmer

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:22 PM

I was actually digging through the music in Rush a few days ago. I didn't have the paitence to try and figure out what was what however. :-(There is a pack of tools called SSEQUtil, available at this site:http://loveemu.yh.land.to/Using sseqrip on the entire rom (not just the Soundbg.dat file, or whatever it's called) it will rip all .sseq files from inside the sound .dat files. Then there's another tool included, sseq2mid, which does what the name implies, it converts them to midi.Because the music in Rush uses so many custom samples, it's almost impossible to listen to as MIDI though. :-(But if someone is really determined, maybe they could listen to see if any tracks from before Naganuma worked on the game are still there? I didn't notice any, but as I said, most weren't recognisable due to the sample issue.I doubt this helps anyone, but maybe someone hasn't heard of that tool and wants to look at it.

#8 User is offline   jennytablina

Icon
England
Interest:
Anime/Cartoon Fan

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:20 AM

Well isnt Rush's game engine simply the advance engine with a graphical update? Maybe the ladybird was just a stand in graphic while they were still designing the 3D enemys.Curious question, did anyone know what the tracks with "PSG" in the titles were about? ("What u Need is PSG" - 37 on the sound test, "Groove Rush 1# PSG" - 38) as they both sound like lower quality tracks that might of been intended more for the GBA sound chip rather than the DS.

#9 User is offline   SSUK

Icon
Little Planet
Interest:

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:54 AM

View Postjennytablina, on Jun 30 2006, 02:20 PM, said:

Well isnt Rush's game engine simply the advance engine with a graphical update? Maybe the ladybird was just a stand in graphic while they were still designing the 3D enemys.Curious question, did anyone know what the tracks with "PSG" in the titles were about? ("What u Need is PSG" - 37 on the sound test, "Groove Rush 1# PSG" - 38) as they both sound like lower quality tracks that might of been intended more for the GBA sound chip rather than the DS.
PSG tracks I assumed to be multiplayer tracks, since I haven't had a multiplayer yet on Sonic Rush, I wouldn't know. However I always thought that PSG meant "Programmable sound generator" ... So most likely DS chip-music. Which is why I thought they where for multiplayer (for a single card). =P

#10 User is offline   Techokami

Icon
United States
Interest:
Hacker

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:40 AM

View Postjennytablina, on Jun 30 2006, 09:20 AM, said:

Maybe the ladybird was just a stand in graphic while they were still designing the 3D enemys.
The ladybug may have been a leftover from testing, as it is in the same format as all the other badnik sprites. The only things that are 3D in a Sonic Rush level are gimmicks and Sonic/Blaze. Everything else is 2D sprites in the GBA's format.

#11 User is offline   Pietepiet

Icon
Netherlands
Interest:
Artist

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:52 AM

View PostSSUK, on Jun 30 2006, 04:54 PM, said:

PSG tracks I assumed to be multiplayer tracks, since I haven't had a multiplayer yet on Sonic Rush, I wouldn't know. However I always thought that PSG meant "Programmable sound generator" ... So most likely DS chip-music. Which is why I thought they where for multiplayer (for a single card). =P
They aren't multiplayer tracks. Multiplayer uses the same music as singleplayer. Guess they're just a chip-music experiment, for fun. I don't recall them being used anywhere in the game besides Soundtest, so.

#12 User is offline   Techokami

Icon
United States
Interest:
Hacker

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:08 PM

Those tracks are used for the demo version you can transmit via WiFi.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users